Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Do third party wireless cahrgers degrade batteryh health? One YouTube video says they do, and it is better to use a wire, or the orginal charger brick and wire that came with the phone.

A Google serch turned up mixed results, so now I am confused.

I like them, because they are quick, and I am not risking damaging the lighenting ports from plugging and unplugging the phone all the time.

Should I stick with only an Apple brasnded charger?

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
All wireless chargers degrade the battery due to heat. The original 5W charger with cable is the safest bet.

Lightning ports rarely get damaged - they were designed for repeated use. And the port can be easily replaced because it's modular.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
I used a MagSafe on the 12 mini when it first came out. It fried the battery life. Never again, only 5 watt for now on

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I used Magsafe on my 12 PM, 13 PM and now 14 PM and never had issues with battery degrading. All 3 of them still retained 100% battery health after one year. my 13 PM had the same exact battery health since launch day and never lost its capacity. YMMW and all depends how yell you take care of it.

Of course Heat is the #1 that causes battery degradation. I usually have a case on while charging and stays cool to the touch.

Reactions: max2

arazeleternal

macrumors member
May 17, 2016
I use a wireless charger almost exclusively. Used one with every iPhone Ive had since they introduced wireless charging to the iPhones. I dont remember the others, but my 12 pro was down to 87% battery health after 2 years. Pretty decent I’d say.

AppleB

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
I had my 12 Pro Max for 18 months and charged wireless in the bedroom and car with MagSafe and wired in the living room while watching TV. Wired when traveling for work and when I’m in hotels.
My battery health was at 87% on the 12 PM when I turned it in.

I just don’t worry about if 3rd party chargers are degrading the battery prematurely.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I have found with past iPhones that they would sometimes get hot charging via a lightning adapter too.

Also, I only keep them in the charger until they hit 100%, then I take them off the wireless charger, is this better? and how low should I let the battery get before charging again?

Jochheim

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2020
A good rule of thumb is to keep the battery around 20-80%. This would be more healthy than draining and charging completely but as others said I would not worry to much about it. In the end in most cases it won’t matter that much. Most of the time I do charge via cable and unplug around 80%.

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
I have found with past iPhones that they would sometimes get hot charging via a lightning adapter too.

Also, I only keep them in the charger until they hit 100%, then I take them off the wireless charger, is this better? and how low should I let the battery get before charging again?
I think it depends on the cable and the case. My iPhone with a bad lightning cable would get super hot.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
After a couple of years of wireless charging, I went back to the 5 watt charger via Lightning port. My phone never gets warm and my 13PM still showed 100% battery capacity after one year of use.

Last edited:

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I used Magsafe on my 12 PM, 13 PM and now 14 PM and never had issues with battery degrading. All 3 of them still retained 100% battery health after one year. my 13 PM had the same exact battery health since launch day and never lost its capacity. YMMW and all depends how yell you take care of it.

Of course Heat is the #1 that causes battery degradation. I usually have a case on while charging and stays cool to the touch.

I done the same.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
After a couple of years of wireless charging, I went back to the 5 watt charger via Lightning port. My phone never gets warm and my 13PM still showed 100% battery capacity after one year of use.
I always charged via the lightening port on my 11 Pro and after 3 years the battery was 96% It was always either on the the computer or plugged into my vehicles. I did use a wireless charger when I traveled and was at Incheon Korea and at Clark International Airport in the Philippines as the other charging cables were all in use. I have a MagSafe charger at home that my friends use when they need a top off but that was given to me as a gift but my computer is right next to wireless charger. If the guest are in the computer is shut off.

MobiusTech

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
My 13 Pro Max that I had for 12 months before I traded it in for iPhone 14 Pro Max had a 99% battery health and I always wirelessly charged. Just do it.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
If you buy a new phone every year then go ahead and magsafe it. You won’t kill that battery in one year and Apple will replace the battery anyway before the sell it as refurbished. So in this case you can fry it at 30 watts all you want.

If you keep it for two or three years, only wire charge it 20 watts and under preferably.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
I've said this before...
People who tend to frequent these forums will more than likely trade their phone for a new one long before the battery is done or even close to it. I seriously doubt it's worth worrying about whether or not a certain way of charging is of any real concern.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I agree with jay968. Most of us are not keeping the phones for the long term. The longest I have went with a phone was the 11 Pro and I replaced it this year and the battery was still at 93%.

The other day I got my hands on a second hand iPhone XS on the cheap. The battery on the XS was 80%. I have taken in this into the Apple store and it is getting a battery replacement for $69.00. I intend to gift this to a favorite niece in my wife's family. She has helped me with my wife in countless ways since my wife got dementia and that the least I can do for her as she does not much money to afford a iPhone and she is using a older flip phone.

scrtagntman

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Do third party wireless cahrgers degrade batteryh health? One YouTube video says they do, and it is better to use a wire, or the orginal charger brick and wire that came with the phone.

A Google serch turned up mixed results, so now I am confused.

I like them, because they are quick, and I am not risking damaging the lighenting ports from plugging and unplugging the phone all the time.

Should I stick with only an Apple brasnded charger?
To the original point of your question, 3rd vs 1st party, it doesn’t really matter. Your iPhone is in complete control of charging. A charger cannot force it to charge in a way it does not want to.

That said, I personally would only use trusted brands like belkin or anker. There is some real garbage out there that I wouldn’t feel safe leaving plugged into my wall.

Reactions: Andeddu

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Life is too short to worry about this crap. Charge when you need and how you want, and have the battery replaced if it gets too work.

Just use your stuff. That's what it's for.

Reactions: Andeddu

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
To the original point of your question, 3rd vs 1st party, it doesn’t really matter. Your iPhone is in complete control of charging. A charger cannot force it to charge in a way it does not want to.

That said, I personally would only use trusted brands like belkin or anker. There is some real garbage out there that I wouldn’t feel safe leaving plugged into my wall.
Yup. I like Belkin as the braided wired fast chargers are a much better quality than Apple’s own. I use a MagSafe charger from Apple though and have never had any issues with it.

Like you, I never use any supermarket branded or unbranded crap.

Reactions: scrtagntman

radiologyman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2011
I have a strong suspicion that apple leather case contributed to noticeable battery degradation on my mini 12. Now I got silicon case and it runs cool to touch and feels faster.

So for my mini 13 I got silicone case from the get go. Would I have better chance at preserving battery life by charging it only at night or is it ok to use wireless charger at daytime to prevent battery falling below 20%?

tiberria

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2022
I use an Apple MagSafe charger connected to a third party stand thing to have an upright phone stand on my desk - my iPhone sits on that 16 hours a day throughout my entire work day and most of the evening, etc. After 2 full years of doing this on my 12 Pro Max, it was still sitting at 88% battery life when I upgraded to the 14 Pro Max. Even sitting on a wireless charger all day every day sitting at 100% battery life, it didn't degrade noticably faster than past phones that used wired charging only.

The rate of degradation suggests I would have been able to keep the phone for going into a 4th year before getting below the 80% battery life threshold. I strongly suspect that very few people that are enthusiast enough about battery health to "stick to the 20%-80% range" and use 5w chargers to put less stress on the battery, etc. are going to keep the same phone for 4+ years. Even if you do want to keep your phone longer, it's only $99 to get a battery replacement anyway. It just really isn't worth stressing over these things, especially to the point where you are impacting convenience and enjoyment.

Reactions: radiologyman

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
If you buy a new phone every year then go ahead and magsafe it. You won’t kill that battery in one year and Apple will replace the battery anyway before the sell it as refurbished. So in this case you can fry it at 30 watts all you want.

If you keep it for two or three years, only wire charge it 20 watts and under preferably.
I’ve had two iPhones fail because the lightning connector failed and the phone could no longer be charged… MagSafe seems like a big plus in this regard.

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
I have had my 11PM for 3yrs and only using wireless charging, my battery health is still 99%, i's say this is pretty amazing degradation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.