Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matheew944

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Iphone 4s dont have enough ram, so the Ipad 2

why Apple keeps supporting A5 devices??
Ipad 2 received 4 major updates
Iphone 4s received 3 major update

I think IOS 9 will be only support
Iphone 5 and up
Ipad 3 and up
no ipod touch
no ipad mini1
no ipad 2
no 4s

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Iphone 4s dont have enough ram, so the Ipad 2

why Apple keeps supporting A5 devices??
Ipad 2 received 4 major updates
Iphone 4s received 3 major update

I think IOS 9 will be only support
Iphone 5 and up
Ipad 3 and up
no ipod touch
no ipad mini1
no ipad 2
no 4s

The rumours are pretty certain that A5 devices will get iOS 9. iOS 9 is going to be a big optimisation and big fix release so there is no reason for them not to get it, and apparently apple is specially optimising for older devices which is good.

Reason being they are still selling the iPad Mini that has the same internals as the iPad 2 and the iPod Touch 5 which has the same internals as the iPhone 4S.

In addition to that around half of the installed iPad base is A5, and the iPad 2 still has the biggest share of iPads.

Hopefully the rumours are true because it would be nice to get something back from Apple given the amount of money that many of us have handed over.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
ipad3 is pretty much ipad2 with more RAM so it'll probably get knocked too if all a5 goes - not to mention it runs slower than the 2.

reptarwilleatu

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
iOS 9 & OS X 10.11 to bring ‘quality’ focus, smaller apps, Rootless security, legacy iPhone/iPad support

"While some users of older iOS devices have speculated that Apple’s recent operating systems were built to encourage the purchase of new phones and tablets, the company has actually been working on ways to make legacy iPhones and iPads more efficient while running the upcoming iOS 9.

In what will come as a surprise to many people, our sources note that even A5-based Apple devices, including the original iPad mini and discontinued iPhone 4S, will be able to run iOS 9. In order to avoid the sluggishness and bugginess that was most notably seen in iOS 7 for the iPhone 4, Apple has restructured its software engineering process to better support older hardware.

Instead of developing a feature-complete version of iOS 9 for older hardware and then removing a handful of features that do not perform well during testing, Apple is now building a core version of iOS 9 that runs efficiently on older A5 devices, then enabling each properly performing feature one-by-one. Thanks to this new approach, an entire generation (or two) of iPhones, iPads, and iPod touches will be iOS 9-compatible rather than reaching the end of the iOS line."

Matheew944

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
I think all A5 devices will be left out,
REASON 1
512MB of RAM, this is not enough RAM to support IOS .we r not in IOS 5 or 6 anymore

REASON 2
I cant even imagine Iphone 4s run IOS 9 , it is already slow on IOS 8

REASON 3

Its an processor that is almost 4 years old, received several major updates.ITS TIME TO STOP!

REASON 4
ITS NOT 64 BIT

REASON 5

DONT HAVE TOUCH ID

I DOUBT that 4s and Ipad 2 will be compatible with IOS 9. The only 32 bit devices that will get is Ip 5 and up. Ipad 3 and up

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
REASON 1
512MB of RAM, this is not enough RAM to support IOS .we r not in IOS 5 or 6 anymore

REASON 2

REASON 3

Its an processor that is almost 4 years old, received several major updates.ITS TIME TO STOP!

REASON 4
ITS NOT 64 BIT

REASON 5

DONT HAVE TOUCH ID

I DOUBT that 4s and Ipad 2 will be compatible with IOS 9. The only 32 bit devices that will get is Ip 5 and up. Ipad 3 and up
Original iPad Mini with 512MB A5 SOC is still being made and sold as new.
http://store.apple.com/us/buy-ipad/ipad-mini
Apple has always given updates to the devices which are still being sold as new to consumers. They won't deprecate customers who buy an iPad mini today, next month. Devices have always gotten at least a year of updates after they stop selling as new.

Combine that with new optimizations to support the A5 being heavily rumored.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...imized-for-older-devices-including-iphone-4s/

4S is almost definitely getting iOS9.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
REASON 1

REASON 2

REASON 3

REASON 4
ITS NOT 64 BIT

REASON 5

DONT HAVE TOUCH ID

Just because its received a few updates doesn't mean "its time to stop". The majority of iPad users are still on A5 iPads. Touch ID doesn't matter. Plus the iPad 3 is slower than the iPad 2 (or pretty much on par).

Have you ignored the major articles about how apple is working to optimise iOS 9 for A5 devices, considering they are still for sale?

Do you actually have an A5 device? Many of us can't afford updates, thus why I am super excited for the prospect of iOS 9 on A5 devices - My iPad is already very usable with iOS 8, so even if 9 makes the smallest improvements I'll be happy. Not to mention how many family members and friends have iPad 2s/iPad Minis/iPhone 4S's.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
REASON 1

REASON 2

REASON 3

REASON 4
ITS NOT 64 BIT

REASON 5

DONT HAVE TOUCH ID

1.) fair enough
2.) i suppose this is ok if ios9 not a performance update despite rumors
3-5) By this logic, ipad4/iphone5 should also not get an update to ios9

In other words, only the 5S and ipad air and higher should get ios9 through that logic.
While on that topic, only 2013 level macs should get OS 10.11 (or equivalent) since <2012 already has "gotten a few updates."

The above is an example of crappy service/support that plagues android and other platforms. Ironically, the more support a device has, the greater the brand loyalty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.