Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

staypuftforums

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2021
For example, the 120Hz refresh rate seems to be a must-have for many consumers. But I see this mostly from people who have already owned 120Hz phones who don't want to go back down to 60Hz. Rarely do I see people unhappy with 60Hz if it's all they've ever known.

I'll often see people posting that they didn't even notice the difference when upgrading. Only once they have been accustomed to 120Hz will they notice the downgrade back to 60Hz.

Similar (for me anyway) is OLED. I just got an iPhone 13 Mini and I am using it along with my old iPhone 6 to decide whether it's worth the cost.

Hopefully this makes sense - going from the iPhone 6 to the 13 Mini, the screens absolutely do look *different*, and I might say the 13 Mini looks perhaps a little bit better, but not anything major. However, going from the 13 Mini to the 6, all of a sudden the 6 screen looks very washed out and the lack of contrast is obvious.

Even the cameras suffer from this effect. Are we at the point where you'd only notice these slight improvements if you downgrade? That the difference just isn't significant enough to appreciate and be thankful for when upgrading your device?

Not sure what the point of this post is, other than to maybe argue that all of this leads to a diminishment of that "new phone excitement" that used to exist back in the day when there was a night-and-day difference between quality of phones released, say, 2 years apart. Now its very slight, and you don't immediately even notice the improvements.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.