Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Ever since Catalina I feel like MacOS quality control is declining. I am currently on Ventura in my personal MBP16 and using Monterrey on my work laptop, the amount of glitches in both versions is incredible, there is also quite a lot of mismatching UI elements. Releases come and go and problems persist.

This last one is laughable because Mac users mocked Windows for years for having inconsistent UI or Win-95-like menus still in Windows 10, but this is exactly what Ventura is right now, you go from menus of different styles in one click, and many of the buttons and text are different in size and color, it is an eyesore to OCD me.

I find myself backing up more frequently now, I have lost confidence in MacOS and I am afraid to lose data.

MacOS was once considered a very stable and trustable system, I don’t feel this way anymore.

What do you guys/girls think?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Monterey has been stable running on my 2017 iMac for a year, no issues for my use.
Ventura PB on my M1 MBA has also been surprisingly stable for me, no glitch thus far. Can't argue inconsistency in the UI but it is still in beta ...

it certainly seemed more SW related issues over the past 2 years, I have commented on multiple posts, but, one should not forget that we have been living in a pandemic so we have to account for that.

I use Win10 on my work laptop and I hate it. And whenever I have to do something on my wife's Win11 laptop - I hate it. For me, macOS is still far superior to Windows, but to each their own.

Reactions: GeoStructural

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
You should backup often, but any UI issues wouldn't lend me to change that behavior. If you had crashing or other filesystem issues, then that changes things.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
You should backup often, but any UI issues wouldn't lend me to change that behavior. If you had crashing or other filesystem issues, then that changes things.
Yes, I backup often regardless. Plus I have cloud storage. My point is that I am more concerned now than I ever was about system stability in general.

Regarding the issues, yes, I have experiences crashes too. And the other day I was creating a document and it seemed like it was not saving and the folder was empty, then I restarted the laptop and found 16 empty files in the folder, weird.

Also this week I am unable to change my wallpaper. I often put my week’s schedule as wallpaper so I have it right in front of me. I am unable to change it now, I contacted Apple and haven’t heard a response yet, I know it is a minor thing, but still.

Lastly, I have observed more apps freezing and had to Force-quit them. I am about to perform a fresh restart of the machine to see if that solves the issues and kills the bugs.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Another weird thing happening in Ventura is the treatment of external drives. I have one Samsung T5 and a Kingston drive, they both perform well on Monterrey, but the Kingston one is painfully slow on Ventura, either something is going on with file management or it is a bug that will hopefully be resolved once the Beta program ends.

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Avoid having APFS on external drives, continuous background data sync, and macOS usage without a reboot.
+ Install latest updates for OS and do tinkering with the system time to time and shouldn't be any (major) problems

Queen6

macrumors G4
Ventura is in Beta and people have been saying the same since way before Snow Leopard. That said I do believe Apple would serve it's Mac focused customers far better with a 24 month cycle and not follow the IOS 12 month cycle.

I generally stay one OS revision behind, purposely to avoid issue. I've only just updated my M1 Mac to Monterey as for Ventura I wont remotely consider the OS until August/September 2023 and then it has to be of benefit to me as the user.

Fair enough I'm not at the cutting edge, equally I get a new stable OS each year and don't have to deal with Gen one HW issues if present.

Q-6

Reactions: stevenaaus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.