Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrInquestador

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 14, 2015
will it wear out the battery faster than when you charge your phone with the 5w adapter that came with the box?

rattler

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
It will wear your battery down over time, but probably not drastically. Faster charging means more heat is generated which will shorten the lifespan of the battery. I only use fast charging when I’m in a rush and I need a quick top up.

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I do, and It really doesn’t seem noticeably faster than the regular iPad block. I wouldn’t imagine that the battery would suffer any I’ll effects worth worrying about.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
It was a hard pill to swallow laying out UK prices for the 29w charger and the corresponding cable, but it was worth it. Didn’t want to risk third party route.

My X has got great battery life so far, lasting me all day, but typically I’ll bung it on the charger for 30 minutes later in the day and it’s 70-80% in no time. Notably faster upto 50% than the 12w charger I used to use.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
will it wear out the battery faster than when you charge your phone with the 5w adapter that came with the box?

In theory every faster charger wears out the battery faster due to more heat.

In practice? No, you won’t notice it. Feel free to charge with any quality charger like Apple’s.

iPad Charger is probably the best option as it charges only slightly slower than the 29W charger and is cheaper. Also, if you have an iPad, you already have it. Then again, if you have a USB-C MacBook or MacBook Pro, you just need a USB-C to Lightning cable, since you can use any new MB charger with your iPhone (yup, even the 87W one, it will charge at the same speed as the 29W)

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I use an iPad charger which is fast enough. When I’m in a bigger hurry, I just plug in my Anker battery (the flat one that’s about the same size as the phone) and it charges at 2 amps while I keep using the phone.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The iPhone already slows charging once you get to 80%. That combined with the fact that there isn’t much measured speed difference in charge time, between the 11w and 29w chargers, and I doubt there are any practical impacts on battery life. I notice the speed difference of the 29w charger on my iPad Pros with their larger batteries.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
The iPhone already slows charging once you get to 80%. That combined with the fact that there isn’t much measured speed difference in charge time, between the 11w and 29w chargers, and I doubt there are any practical impacts on battery life. I notice the speed difference of the 29w charger on my iPad Pros with their larger batteries.
O- 50% in 30 minutes is fast charging but from 50 to 100% takes another
1 1/2 hours which is not exactly fast

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It was a hard pill to swallow laying out UK prices for the 29w charger and the corresponding cable, but it was worth it. Didn’t want to risk third party route.

My X has got great battery life so far, lasting me all day, but typically I’ll bung it on the charger for 30 minutes later in the day and it’s 70-80% in no time. Notably faster upto 50% than the 12w charger I used to use.
I will buy one eventually but only because it can be used with my iPad Pro and X. Using it for two devices makes or worthwhile for me.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I will buy one eventually but only because it can be used with my iPad Pro and X. Using it for two devices makes or worthwhile for me.

Should have mentioned, yes I use it with my 10.5 iPP too. Makes a huge difference with that, incredibly slow with the 12w.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.