Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you terminate your apps on your iDevice?

• I have no iDevice whatsoever but feel compelled to vote in this poll

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Yes, constantly. And I find my dad and brother complaining about how slow Netflix is running, and so I always have to help them clear out their multitask.

Having 5 apps open in the background is fine, but then when you have 50 apps paused, and they're all games, that becomes an issue.

Wrong

----------

Only if an app locks up completely or has some network issue and won't refresh information. Other than that, there's no need.
True

----------

iPhone 4, yes. iPhone 5, no.

No difference. It's iOS. Not based on phone model.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Yes, constantly. And I find my dad and brother complaining about how slow Netflix is running, and so I always have to help them clear out their multitask.

Having 5 apps open in the background is fine, but then when you have 50 apps paused, and they're all games, that becomes an issue.

No actually it doesn't

Last edited:

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I close facebook after I log off of it. I don't trust facebook and their vision of the world to not, on their own, to decide to integrate with something else on my phone even though I haven't given them permission to do anything. I only log on to Facebook maybe once a week so it doesn't make much of a difference.

I also close out my bank's application after I log out but not sure why.

Akarin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
Nyon, Switzerland
Yes, otherwise after a while my iPod starts getting very slow and apps crash

That's the thing. Like everybody, I read some 'experts' views on why it doesn't matter if you completely kill apps or not but the fact is I DO notice a change in battery power consumption and apps performances when apps are terminated or not.

I guess that until an Apple iOS developer explains concretely how it works from a memory management standpoint, I will be continuing to kill my apps when I don't use them.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
when I just want to close it I do but ordinarily I don't. Not like it matters, on the 5 apps open near instant anyway.

Eckscaliber

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2012
I terminate my apps on my iPad & iPhone about 10 times each per day. I like restarting the apps new, and freeing up the RAM. If an app of any kind is not running smoothly, I kill them all.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
To me it's a privacy thing - I don't want colleagues at work seeing that I play silly games like 'Words with Friends'.... (For the record - I don't play any games at work, but I do at home).

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I do on the iPad if the idle apps get in my way to swipe left or right when chg'ing apps.

Otherwise I do sometimes end them all for no others reason than to satisfy my OCD.

Poonz

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Tecumseh, ON, CA
If ever I feel its running slow then it's the first thing I do. Usually i forgot and can't believe how many are open as I close each one at a time.

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
I never close apps unless they crash/freeze. The only apps I do close manually is the sat nav apps such has TomTom, Copilot and iGO as they will run in the background and will use battery life quickly.

Doing so on iOS is a pointless waste of time.

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Some Apps... Like GPS Apps (TomTom) that run in the background and eat battery.

Otherwise, not unless there's some kind of glitch that requires a reboot.

Most Apps do not require closing.

----------

I never close apps unless they crash/freeze. The only apps I do close manually is the sat nav apps such has TomTom, Copilot and iGO as they will run in the background and will use battery life quickly.

Doing so on iOS is a pointless waste of time.

Ah! I never saw your reply yet mine is almost identical!

Creepy!

:eek:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
These days one of the ways to get the AppStore to check for updates (once you've opened it before) is to "kill" it and open it again. Not sure why Apple changed that (perhaps to decrease the number of update checks people do), but seems like there's a "need to kill" that exists for that app at least.

surfer17

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
Canada
Only after a point that apps start crashing on me.

Although the last time this happened and I checked the number of apps open in the background, I had 107 apps open.

iOS has very good memory management from my understanding. Which keeps the amount of base memory required in an iDevice low. My understanding extends to the fact the iOS apps aren't running in the background like how they are on an Android device like the Galaxy S3. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Would love to know the correct functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.