Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
In technical terms, changing a the material used, the finish and adding chamfered sides constitute as a change in design. The 15 and 15P models have new designs. Whether if it’s a big or a small change - that’s something debatable.
Whether minor changes to the physical design of a product constitute it as a "new design" can be subjective and depend on various factors, including the industry and consumer expectations. In some cases, even minor changes can be marketed as a new iteration or version of a product to attract consumers. However, as you allude to, it's essential to consider the significance of the changes, as well as any functional improvements or added features. Sometimes, a more significant overhaul is needed to truly represent a "new design." The definition of a "new design" can vary from one product category to another.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Material change isn't a new design. We had a new design with Dynamic Island on iPhone 14.

iPhone 16 is a new form factor - that's a new design.

DI does not qualify as a new design to me. If the 16 is just bigger with same design it is also not a new design, just different form factor…

15 Pro feels different to hold, but looks pretty much the same..

So basically we are still at the 12 Pro design, with minor tweaks here and there.

Personally I don’t really mind. I don’t need change for the sake of change. The changes on the 15 Pro make sense to me though and improve on my previous complaints . (Lighter and more comfortable to hold with rounded edges)

Reactions: Barbareren

platinumaqua

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2021
G1 - own design
3G/3GS - curved plastic back
4/4S - sandwich design with flat sides
5/5S/SE1 - flat sides with aluminum back + glass windows
6-11, SE2-3 rounded frame and curved screen glass
12+ flat frame, with minor revisions on each generation

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
DI does not qualify as a new design to me. If the 16 is just bigger with same design it is also not a new design, just different form factor…

15 Pro feels different to hold, but looks pretty much the same..

So basically we are still at the 12 Pro design, with minor tweaks here and there.

Personally I don’t really mind. I don’t need change for the sake of change. The changes on the 15 Pro make sense to me though and improve on my previous complaints . (Lighter and more comfortable to hold with rounded edges)

DI changes the usability of iPhone quite a bit. That previously dead space is now active.

iPhone 16's taller form factor is not just bigger, it changes the aspect ratio of videos and apps.

kerr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Australia
Compared to the iPhone XS that I upgraded from, yes I do consider the iPhone 15 to be a new design.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I consider it a brand new design. The changes are significant enough to feel very different in hand.

How many different ways can you design a black glass rectangle? The only real differentiator is how it feels, and this feels different.

• Love

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
The iPhone 15 is not a new design. It's the same design not only as the iPhone 14, but also the 13, 12, and 11. A more appropriate name for the iPhone 15 would be iPhone 11ssss.

Tim Cook wants to rake in as much cash as possible. Therefore, he likes cutting corners on research and development. He likes only small incremental changes because that maximizes profits. That's what you get when you have an MBA as CEO instead of a visionary. You have a have a corporate scumbag who has a thought process like McKinsey (a firm that MBAs worship) instead of someone with a thought process that's imaginative.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
The fact is the new Apple 15 Pro is a better phone, if one starts using it you quickly find it is an improvment over the past iPhones, now is it really worth costing over a Grand+ that depends on what phone your coming from and how you are finding this new phone.

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
The fact of improved performance makes the 15 a better phone. Iteration, yes. New design? No.

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
Looks wise I consider it the same design as the X, just with some tweaks every year after, some more significant than others. The dynamic island is pretty major, especially to me since I hated the notch. The size increase of iPhone 12 was also pretty major.

But still iPhone 15 has the same basic design as the X. Which is perfect fine by me because there really isn’t much to improve upon.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
We had a new design with Dynamic Island on iPhone 14.
No we did not have a "new design". If that is a new design then so are the rounded edges of the 15. You don't get to cherry pick.

Almost every iphone gets design changes. Not every iphone gets a "new design". The last "new design" was iphone 12.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No we did not have a "new design". If that is a new design then so are the rounded edges of the 15. You don't get to cherry pick.

Almost every iphone gets design changes. Not every iphone gets a "new design". The last "new design" was iphone 12.

Dynamic Island is as significant as the Home button. Everyone can spot the new silhouette with Dynamic Island. New iOS interactions too. Nobody can easily see rounded edges.

Home button, notch, narrow notch, DI. It’s Apple’s signature. Very easy to see what generation iPhone you have just based on the design.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Dynamic Island is as significant as the Home button. Everyone can spot the new silhouette with Dynamic Island. New iOS interactions too. Nobody can easily see rounded edges.

Home button, notch, narrow notch, DI. It’s Apple’s signature. Very easy to see what generation iPhone you have just based on the design.
narrow notch? You’re not calling the 13 a new design too are you? Lol absolutely not you’ve gone off the deep end.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
narrow notch? You’re not calling the 13 a new design too are you? Lol

Didn't say it was. Comparing the microscopically curved edges on the iPhone 15 Pro to the Dynamic Island on the iPhone 14 Pro. People are far more likely consider the DI a design change.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Didn't say it was. Comparing the microscopically curved edges on the iPhone 15 Pro to the Dynamic Island on the iPhone 14 Pro. People are far more likely consider the DI a design change.

Then don’t list the narrow notch in your list of “iconic” design elements lol.

By the way you’re moving the goal posts. You started with “new design” and now just calling it a “design change.” Anything that affects fit, form, or function is a design change. Cut a hole in the screen? Design change. Change the angle of cuts on the chassis? Design change. Put bigger camera lenses on? Design change. New color? Design change.

Every model year of a car has minor changes to its appearance. If a car gets a new grill slapped on mid cycle, it’s not a new design. The new design is when the program gets a full refresh.

If a phone gets a hole cut into the screen instead of a notch, it’s not a new design. It’s a small modification on an existing design. The new design launched 4 phone ago.

If we base our decision on whether something is a “new design” based on how easily noticed it is, then we have to call the iPhone 5S a new design too, right? Apple didn’t even call it a new design given the name.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: rukind2

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Then don’t list the narrow notch in your list of “iconic” design elements lol.

By the way you’re moving the goal posts. You started with “new design” and now just calling it a “design change.” Anything that affects fit, form, or function is a design change. Cut a hole in the screen? Design change. Change the angle of cuts on the chassis? Design change. Put bigger camera lenses on? Design change. New color? Design change.

Every model year of a car has minor changes to its appearance. If a car gets a new grill slapped on mid cycle, it’s not a new design. The new design is when the program gets a full refresh.

If a phone gets a hole cut into the screen instead of a notch, it’s not a new design. It’s a small modification on an existing design. The new design launched 4 phone ago.

If we base our decision on whether something is a design change based on how easily noticed it is, then we have to call the iPhone 5S a new design too, right? Apple didn’t even call it a new design given the name.

Agree to disagree, I guess.

The topic of this thread is clearly subjective.

Personally, I consider mid-cycle car refreshes to be new design. Whether that's major or minor is up to debate.

The notch to island is a new/major design change/refresh, whatever you want to call it, in my opinion. It's not just a cut out, it significantly changes how users interact with the phone. Nobody tapped that black area before iPhone 14 Pro.

For iPhone 5S, I don't know many people who can readily distinguish between iPhone 5, 5S, or SE (2016). But I'd say most grandmothers could spot the notch/DI difference 6 ft. away.

smartphone-silhouette-mockup-set_565470-2754.jpg

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
It's not just a cut out, it significantly changes how users interact with the phone.
The software update changes how we interact with the phone. Just like WatchOS10 changes how we interact with the watch.

TouchID was a bigger design change than the Dynamic Island. A new sensor that eliminates password locks vs a hole in the screen. And nobody would call the 5S a redesign.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.