Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That said, I am really considering moving my domain away from Apple and back to Gmail.
For me, I just want to avoid using google services as much as possible. I'm the product that is being sold with Google, and that bothers me. I'm not tinfoil hat live i a bunker privacy minded, but I'm doing what I can to live a normal-ish life but keep my details out of reach from companies like google.

With that said, I've only heard good things about how efficient google is with handling spam, and how inconsistent apple is. As I mentioned, I get too many false positives, my mortage company and banking emails (two different organizations) more often then not end up in my junk folder. Even the confirmation that I paid the mortgage can end up there. The confusing part is, not all emails from my mortgage company shows up in the junk folder.

As for Outlook, yes, horrible product, and I don't use that email address at all. My wife has a hotmail account and she struggles with it getting compromised (even though she changes her password often) and getting inundated with spam.

As I mentioned I'm transitioning over to protonmail and it seems to fit the bill for my needs.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
For me, I just want to avoid using google services as much as possible. I'm the product that is being sold with Google, and that bothers me.

I get that and whilst it bothers me also I know who Google is, they don't hide it. I would rather a company openly tell me that I am a product to them than one that claims otherwise but I have no way to verify it.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
In addition to my original question, do you also check the Spam/Junk folder, or merely empty it every so often?

With the way spam/phishing has evolved and the algorithms being used to target humans, to me, if an email is spam/junk/phishing, it should really just go to the Deleted Items folder. Period...

Reactions: compwiz1202

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Yes, I check what is in the Junk folder before emptying it, which, of course, deletes the items permanently instead of moving them to the Trash folder. Once in awhile, a message from a company I've done business with shows up in Junk. Therefore, I never empty it without looking under the hood.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
wants your email before they let you use any services
The ones that annoy me are the sites that don't even let you at your website until you give them your email address. If I see a popup that prevents my visit to their site, I move on. I don't need them, they need me, and if they are that pushy, I leave

Reactions: Mousse

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
With the sheer volume of junk/spam/phishing emails these days, do you even bother moving them to the Junk folder, or simply delete them?
Curious...
One better, I no longer check my email, unless I know something is arriving, which sometimes I admit I get burned by this. Periodically I go on and batch remove large numbers of emails. 🤔

Reactions: circatee

dmt43

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2023
I have been very long-time hotmail/outlook (and windows) user. I just transitioned from a Dell laptop to a Macbook 15” M2. I have been using IPAD, iphone for years, but not MACOS. I have a paid subscription to MS365. There’s a lot of things that were easy on the MS suite that are not intuitive/easy when it comes to MS365 & MAC (like moving a document from one folder to another!) It’ll take some time to learn. I do not want Windows11, but I like the MS products better than their Apple counterparts (I mostly use Word, Excel, Outlook, PPT). I also have a Google account that I rarely use. I needed it for documents and now NFL Sunday ticket - I think gmail is ok.

Note to maflynn - I don’t think Outlook/hotmail is horrible - I’d be interested in finding out your experience. It has its issues, but doesn’t everything??!! My old hotmail id is greatly compromised - it’s been in too many breaches, so that gets ALL my junk mail. I shut it down from being able to logon to my MS account and created 2 new aliases. I need to delete the old hotmail, but am afraid that something will get lost bc I have had it for sooo long. I will delete it one day……in the meantime, the junk mail filter on Outlook works ok, though it really could be better at filtering more junk out!! Some legit emails get in there; I scan quickly b4 deleting. Some junk comes into my inbox. Not a lot. The one nice thing with Outlook is it keeps your deleted mail on their servers for 30? 60 days? I dunno, but you can go into ”deleted items“ to retrieve something that was accidentally deleted or if you want to find something, which I’ve done many times.

I check my junk mail folder regularly, after it gets up to a 100 or so emails and then delete. I would never let 100s or 1000s of emails pile up!!! Can’t do that, too OCD!!! :)

Unfortunately, constant vigilance of junk mail is part of life for me. Like I said, if I delete that old hotmail, most of it will go away. Until the other emails are compromised, that is!! Oh and the other thing I‘ve been doing is using “Hide My Email” as much as possible. You can use that for sites that ask for your email and then deactivate it. Though I agree, these sites/vendors are pushy, it’s a good way to have ‘disposable’ emails readily available.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I take it you're using Gmail, Outlook, AOL, or Yahoo? Because they are the four biggest culprits of a never-ending tornado of spam ripping through your inbox.
GMail has actually been good lately and spamming stuff to the folder. It was good when I first had it, then it worthless, but now it is good again.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
In addition to my original question, do you also check the Spam/Junk folder, or merely empty it every so often?

With the way spam/phishing has evolved and the algorithms being used to target humans, to me, if an email is spam/junk/phishing, it should really just go to the Deleted Items folder. Period...
Would be ok if they would actually do something to stop the spam, but they just do random usernames, so block is useless unless they use some obscure domain I would never get email from.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
For users of Mail.app and iCloud, it would be foolish not to mark messages as Junk/Not Junk, and thus fail to train the client to discern between the two, and rely entirely upon iCloud's poor server side filtering.

Apple relies on both methods, and even then, it doesn't perform as well as Gmail at catching spam.

I have an Apple email address dating back to iTools, which I've kept low key, but since it spammers caught onto it about a year ago, it has been hammered by spam every day, most of it easily identified, and despite that, isn't blocked by the iCloud servers. Sadly, no method to explicitly blacklist or whitelist senders available on the server side exists, like Gmail offers, only the client side in Mail.app.

It's easy to see how effective Apple's methods are(n't) because the account forwards to a Gmail address, which filters about half of it to Spam, and rejects the other half outright so it never even appears in the account.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I use outlook as my main email. I right click on junk emails and report them as junk.

This is pretty much what I do... If it isn't already moved, I will then move it to the junk folder and let it sit for a while and then delete it from the junk folder. I don't get that much, but sometimes it comes in waves and all of sudden I have some 50 pieces of junk mail sitting in my junk box and inbox. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.