Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
I generally play word games and simple physics puzzler on my smartphone . Also endless runners are good on a 4.7 in+ phone.

However, for racing/action games, i enjoy those much more on a tablet. When you are holding the ipad mini, it actually feels like a wheel. Also for strategy games, the larger screen estate makes it much more manageable for controls. I have stopped installing racing/strategy games on my phone as the experience feels cramped and unenjoyable.

What about you guys?

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
My gaming interest has been really rekindled since I got my Note 2. This size is just so good for gaming, both because of the large screen but also because it's a very comfortable size phone to hold for prolonged sessions. While being very light as well. I had all but totally lost my interest in smartphone games towards the end of my time with the iPhone 4S, so when I got the Note I was pretty surprised at how interested I became in games again.

My faves so far:

Extreme Road Trip 2
OLO (sadly a bit buggy on Android, but still a multiplayer fave with the GF)
Reckless Racing 2
Riptide GP2
Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery
The Curse
The Room (This one is quite exquisite, especially if you're an old Myst fan like me. 2nd chapter coming this winter too.)
Total War Battles
Worms 2: Armageddon

And many many more on my Play Store wishlist...

At some point I really need to get into the emulator/ROMs thing as well. So many old classics out there that would be perfect in this format, just waiting to be rediscovered.

I'm also looking forward to the Note 3 for gaming. I wish game developers would aim higher when it comes to smartphone games though, and really go for games with deep content. I wouldn't mind paying 30 Eu for a really solid game, like I did back in the GameBoy Advance days. Maybe now that the average phone screen size is increasing it'll actually start going in that direction. One can dream at least :)

Anyone else that does a bit of gaming and want to share their tips?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I completely lost interest\don't have any time for gaming on my phone or tablet. It kind of makes me sad because there are good games available. :(

But if I had to make a choice, I prefer gaming on a tablet.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I'd probably prefer a tablet if I had one. I don't mind gaming on my iPhone- the Chaos Rings series is great, but other than that and a select few others, I prefer a dedicated console.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Tablet, only because my Surface Pro can play Desktop PC games. Mobile games are garbage in my opinion.

DeathTheKid

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2013
I would normally say tablet. But there is this one game that is only on IOS that I have been playing obsessively called "Injustice: Gods Among Us". Since I don't have an iPad right now, I am stuck playing it on my iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.