Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I’m recently retired, and decided to try my hand at painting. Something I haven’t done since school days, many years ago.

I’ll never be an artist, but I do find it relaxing, challenging and satisfying, as well as frustrating.

I wonder how many others here enjoy painting, either for fun or even professionally? What do you enjoy about your art? What subjects do you like? What do you find challenging? And are you willing to show your latest projects?

This is a ‘portrait’ I’m working on. Any constructive thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4290.jpeg
    IMG_4290.jpeg
    631.7 KB · Views: 98

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I suspect most of us have some hidden artistic talent, whether we recognise it or not. For me, it’s more about having an alternative to my other daily activities, a kind of refuge. I haven’t picked up a brush for more than 40 years, despite occassionally thinking it would be fun to do.

I do think that now, I have learned to take the time to observe. And that makes taking the time to paint more satisfying

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I suspect most of us have some hidden artistic talent, whether we recognise it or not. For me, it’s more about having an alternative to my other daily activities, a kind of refuge. I haven’t picked up a brush for more than 40 years, despite occassionally thinking it would be fun to do.

I do think that now, I have learned to take the time to observe. And that makes taking the time to paint more satisfying
I enjoyed pencil drawing when I was younger, but haven't done it again for a great number of years. I enjoy photography, and also metal detecting (gold, coin, treasures of various kinds) away from people. Just a relaxing pastime where money is not the primary issue now after my second retirement in 2019. Metal detecting is similar to fishing, I guess.

Both painting and drawing can be quite relaxing, but time-consuming for me. Maybe I am too picky :)

Reactions: Martin29

Lakris

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
I’m recently retired, and decided to try my hand at painting. Something I haven’t done since school days, many years ago.

I’ll never be an artist, but I do find it relaxing, challenging and satisfying, as well as frustrating.

I wonder how many others here enjoy painting, either for fun or even professionally? What do you enjoy about your art? What subjects do you like? What do you find challenging? And are you willing to show your latest projects?

This is a ‘portrait’ I’m working on. Any constructive thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
Wow! I'm impressed by your painting! That's very good!

I love painting and drawing, but I rarely find the time for it these days. I always loved painting, drawing, sculpting (plasticine) and I took art class in high school- I loved it and learned a lot! Its just on hobby basis, my job has nothing to do with arts but I occasionally can draw and make stuff there too. I used to draw with pencils a lot, and tried both oil paint and acrylic. I preferred the oil because of the consistency of the painting, but somehow I have just acrylics at home at the moment. Oh, I just love charcoals! The dramatic contrasts you get is just wonderfull and I get to draw and make a mess while I use it. Now I want to draw all of a sudden...
What I enjoy about my art is to get creative, be in my own bubble where I forget about time and space and just enjoy! It's extra fun when I'm satisfied with the finished product. I find it difficult to have the patience to get things the way I want it, but when I do it its so fun! I like drawing/painting mostly people and animals.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
Thank you for that Lakris. That portrait (now almost finished, below) is the first time I’ve picked up a brush since I was 16, some 48 years ago.

I enjoyed doing it, and now have a landscape on my easel. It’s a challenge, and very frustrating when you can’t get your work to express what you want. But I’m hooked again and will keep pushing myself.

Attachments

• IMG_4294.jpeg
    IMG_4294.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 20
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.