Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAttackKev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
I usually always end up getting the pro models, and therefore usually end up getting one of the neutral colors like Silver/graphite, which honestly becomes a bit boring and uninspired after a while.

I've always wanted to get a product red iPhone but didn't want to give up all the high-end specs the pro models have. But I feel like phones, in general, are getting so good that even the nonpro models aren't looking/performing that bad.

I'm just wondering if you guys ever regret getting the iPhone color you got after x amount of time. whether it is because the neutral colors bore you or if the more colorful phones become more of an eye-sore after a while.

I like the idea of getting a colored iPhone, but not sure if it's just an impulse of wanting something different that I'll probably regret down the line.

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
I do usually go for the neutral colors for iPhones over the years mainly black, gold, silver, and white ( iPhone 5), and now silver with the 14 pro max. I really wish the 14 pro models came in that light blue color the regular 14 does.

So in the end I never really regretted getting a certain color cause I end up using a case.

Reactions: Teach8870

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I don't often buy iPhones, preferring to make them last, so miss out on many colours! But the space grey 6s and black 11 were/are my fave colours for those models. I also preferred black instead of white on my 4.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I usually always end up getting the pro models, and therefore usually end up getting one of the neutral colors like Silver/graphite, which honestly becomes a bit boring and uninspired after a while.

I've always wanted to get a product red iPhone but didn't want to give up all the high-end specs the pro models have. But I feel like phones, in general, are getting so good that even the nonpro models aren't looking/performing that bad.

I'm just wondering if you guys ever regret getting the iPhone color you got after x amount of time. whether it is because the neutral colors bore you or if the more colorful phones become more of an eye-sore after a while.

I like the idea of getting a colored iPhone, but not sure if it's just an impulse of wanting something different that I'll probably regret down the line.
No, but I think there’s three significant factors involved in my feelings versus perhaps other peoples feelings.

The first is I always have a case on the phone so the only part you can see is around the camera.

The second is I usually go for neutral colors because I’m not a bright color kind of person so I don’t want something that says hey look at me. That’s just me and everyone is different so I’m not being critical of someone wanting something more bright looking.

I think the third would be I am not a teenager or younger person, so I don’t care as much when it comes to a color choice of my phone. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love the classic look of silver and white on my iPhone 14 PM but if somehow it was bright red, I wouldn’t be that upset about it to the point of “regret”. Of course this is all speculation because I’ve never done this, so maybe it would drive me crazy 😂😂

Here’s what I recommend you do. As a test before you spend a fortune on a new phone and having to take it back go out and buy a cheap bright red phone case. Keep it on your phone for a week or so and think about how you feel about this, if it’s not bothering or embarrassing you then maybe you’re good with a brightly colored phone.

tomtattoo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
Berlin
If they would sell ProductRed on the Pro models on launch day I have no longer to think ybout the color.
This year I choosed silver because I never had silver on my phone, put a black case around it and right now I have forgotten what color I´m using . Doesn´t bother me at all.

Reactions: djgcue and Edge1978

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yup, I regretted getting a dark gray iPhone 11 three years ago. I couldn't predict I'd shoot hours of videos in sunshine, where being silver/white is a HUUUUGE advantage (less overheating).

Reactions: MacRealist91

tiartrop

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2008
Yeah I had a black one and I have mainly dark coloured furniture in my house. They blend in really well. I lost count how many times I had to ring my own phone/use find my phone because it’s on silent. Had to put bright coloured cases but I tend to put my phone face up so didn’t help much.

I’m sticking with silver/gold from now on.

I think it would depend on how much you like the colour though? I have a blue android phone that I thought was cool but after a while the novelty wore off, but I have a rosegold iPad and I really like the colour, and now after years I still like looking at it.

kungxpao

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Socal
Yup. Got the deep purple iPhone 14 Pro Max launch day and 90% of the time it looked gray. Found a silver one in stock this morning and returned the deep purple.

The back of the silver this year is pure white instead of the off white it had the past few years, absolutely gorgeous.

Reactions: Teach8870

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I have always gone black or white with all of my iPhones. But when I got my iPhone 12 Pro Max I wanted to try something new so I went for gold.

I hate that the gold on the 12 pro max is a creamy color. Hence when I upgrade to the 16 pro max I am going back to a simple and minimal black.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I don’t regret but a friend of mine already wants to get rid of his ugly purple phone and I can’t blame him! I always get black as I do not want to attract any attention to my device.

fatTribble

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
To me it’s tough to show your style to the world with a choice of 4 colors. I always go silver except I did get the blue for the 13 Pro Max. A friend who is a decorator told me once to decorate what you want people to notice. So I’m fine if no one notices my iPhone so silver is ok for me. I guess if people do want to show their individuality they can get a fancy case. Just my two cents.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
No regrets for my deep purple iPhone 14 Pro and never any regrets for past choices.

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Only color I regret getting was the white iphone 5. I previously had a black iphone 4 and thought I should switch colors for the 5 release. Anyway, I ended up selling my 32GB white iphone 5 and picked up a 64GB black iphone 5 instead like a month after I bought it.

Now it doesn’t matter as much to me since the faces are all black (starting with X series). Hard to notice the color with a case on, unlike previously when the super white bezels were right in your face.
Previously had a Pacific Blue 12PM and now I use a Sierra Blue 13PM.

shinigamii

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2021
I've regretted getting the iPhone 13 Blue color which is not that good looking but I had to change my old 7 Plus, now I've ordered the 14 Pro Purple which looks great as I saw some review videos!

klky

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2015
Ordered the Pacific Blue 12 Pro right after the announcement. When it arrived I knew I didn’t like it but tried to convince myself otherwise. Lasted 3 months before I decided to give it to my nephew and picked up the Graphite. Felt right immediately.

Reactions: MrAperture
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.