Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
I gave my 9 year-old daughter my old barely used iPod nano 6th gen. She showed her friends, and they were all intrigued, because they had never seen one before. How cool is that, such a little tiny thing that can play music?!? My daughter didn't know it was called an iPod, and her friends had never heard the name iPod before. (I had told her it was called iPod, but she had interpreted what I said as AirPod.)

Now that I think about it, that kind of makes sense, since the last iPod that wasn't an iPod touch was discontinued 5 years ago, when she and her friends would have just been 4-5 years old. And it seems nobody they know has an iPod touch, because everyone just has iPhones and iPads.

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Naw my daughter has heard the term. She's 11 and we would give her our old phones and call them iPods. I also almost bought her an iPod around when she was 9-10.

Reactions: lostPod and rafark

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
Naw my daughter has heard the term. She's 11 and we would give her our old phones and call them iPods. I also almost bought her an iPod around when she was 9-10.
Well, iPhones aren't iPods. :) We let them use our old iPhones as iPods too before I sold them, but I just called them iPhones.

BTW, many of her friends now want to buy iPods, but were disappointed to hear that iPods are no longer still made. Mind you, I suspect many of them will have iPhones anyway in a couple of years.

I still use my iPod shuffle though, even when I carry my iPhone. When cutting the grass or doing other activities, it's so much easier to just press the buttons on the iPod shuffle than using the touch screen on the iPhone, esp. if I'm wearing gloves.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Well, iPhones aren't iPods. :) We let them use our old iPhones as iPods too before I sold them, but I just called them iPhones.

BTW, many of her friends now want to buy iPods, but were disappointed to hear that iPods are no longer still made. Mind you, I suspect many of them will have iPhones anyway in a couple of years.

I still use my iPod shuffle though, even when I carry my iPhone. When cutting the grass or doing other activities, it's so much easier to just press the buttons on the iPod shuffle than using the touch screen on the iPhone, esp. if I'm wearing gloves.

My husband used his little shuffle for YEARS while cutting grass. I think that clip-on shuffle was one of the coolest little devices Apple ever made.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I gave my 9 year-old daughter my old barely used iPod nano 6th gen. She showed her friends, and they were all intrigued, because they had never seen one before. How cool is that, such a little tiny thing that can play music?!? My daughter didn't know it was called an iPod, and her friends had never heard the name iPod before. (I had told her it was called iPod, but she had interpreted what I said as AirPod.)

Now that I think about it, that kind of makes sense, since the last iPod that wasn't an iPod touch was discontinued 5 years ago, when she and her friends would have just been 4-5 years old. And it seems nobody they know has an iPod touch, because everyone just has iPhones and iPads.

Tell your kids about the primitive history of phones.... start with this cartoon below:

Speed Bump Coverly Phone Ancestor.jpeg

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I used mine while running. It was so small and light, and was a great fitness companion!
I got mine specifically to start running with and it was the first Apple device I ever owned. Problem was, I regularly panicked that I'd lost it when it wasn't in use because it was so light that you couldn't feel you had it on you.

I got one again recently out of nostalgia and I still love that thing.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
I ran into that a few years ago with an iPod classic I had sitting out. Couple kids and no idea what it was.. More recently, I wear a 6th gen Nano on my work lanyard (school IT dept) for testing speakers etc and kids ask what it is all the time. I guess it’s hard to explain how iPod was easily the hottest selling electronic device from about 2003-2008, but those days were actually quite short. It ramped up super fast, but flamed out almost as quickly. To go from maybe the most valuable brand in tech to one that Apple doesn’t even bother with anymore is pretty wild.

Reactions: Slix

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
I had the first ‘apple Watch’ back in the day when I got a band for my Nano - and then a Bluetooth adapter so it would work with my headphones… all were much less sleek at that point

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
So I went to Walmart the other day and bought an iPod Touch 32gb since I use them a lot to workout etc. They had three left. When I asked for it the kid could not believe they still had some and asked me if I was a dinosaur.

Your reply should have been: "Damn right! I'm a T-Rex, and my diet consists of pimply teenagers and smug Millennials. ROAR!"

Pugly

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2016
It makes sense, since it's been about 10 years since smartphones took over everything. Do they still know what a headphone jack is?

I guess there are 10 year olds that have only ever known crappy bluetooth pairing.

Music was really the front runner in consumer technology before, and now it's just a rounding error on Apple's services revenue.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

EugW

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 18, 2017
It makes sense, since it's been about 10 years since smartphones took over everything. Do they still know what a headphone jack is?

I guess there are 10 year olds that have only ever known crappy bluetooth pairing.
All Mac laptops (and Windows PCs) and most iPads (and Android devices) still have headphone jacks. My kids use wired headphones with their iPads on the train and plane. And all the Chromebooks at my kids' school have headphone jacks too, which they use headphones with too.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
All Mac laptops (and Windows PCs) and most iPads (and Android devices) still have headphone jacks. My kids use wired headphones with their iPads on the train and plane. And all the Chromebooks at my kids' school have headphone jacks too, which they use headphones with too.

Even my latest iPad Mini has a headphone ja....oops... wait. No it doesn't. It has a modern USB-C port. Never mind. 😚

• Haha
Reactions: JM

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
Well nowadays it’s the Watch. Feels just as light, tells time, plays music while also logging many data of your workout.

Shuffle is cool for nostalgia but sadly it has run out its usefulness.
Agreed. My shuffle died years ago, but it was great while it lasted!

dexapini

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2022
My collegue, which is an Apple fan, once asked me what is that I'm using to listen to music. It has Apple logo, but it's not a iPhone or iPad mini. I sait "It's an iPod classic". He was confused. He is 23 and never saw this thing in his life. So, that shows, even young adults never heard of iPods.

• Wow
Reactions: Slix and EugW

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm not surprised. Most people's parents of that age didn't buy iPods. They were for the high school/college crowd and it was pretty much gone within a span of four/five years. It wasn't something you'd hand down then, just ended up in a drawer. That's why they did the Nano recall, even though it was years later.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

🤣We’re old. Show your daughter a floppy disk if you still have one.

• Haha
Reactions: EugW

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Your daughter was born 8 years after the first iPhone came out. The one with 2G data and no App Store.

Heindijs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
I expect nothing less from the generation that thinks floppy disks are the 3D printed save icons. Although iPods are a bit younger.
As if kids even know what a 3D printer is in the first place :p I showed my cousin’s kids my 3D printer and they were instantly hooked to the thing. They basically sat there for an hour watching it print a little slug!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.