Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I've been seeing this weird and unexplained overnight battery drain with my iPhone 7 (on iOS 13 and now again on 14.3). As you can see from the screenshot there is linear discharge of the battery from about 88% to nearly 45% without any app taking responsibility for this.

The battery health is 92% and it's regularly top-up charged and in good shape. The phone is 2 years old but sparingly used. The phone runs well and the battery has always been on peak performance capability. Background app refresh and all other privacy and battery draining settings are already set to save battery.

I've noticed this behaviour happening every now and then. The weird part is of course that there is no obvious reason for it to happen. It happened earlier even when the phone was on flight mode. This time the network was on. In any case, are there scenarios where some system resource is draining the battery, but it is not showing up on this graph?

Can others on older phones such as the IP7 and 8 share their experiences on this issue? I am also thinking of battery-gate here, and if it's possible that Apple is doing something without telling me.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 192
Reactions: arfbsantoso

arfbsantoso

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2019
I've been seeing this weird and unexplained overnight battery drain with my iPhone 7 (on iOS 13 and now again on 14.3). As you can see from the screenshot there is linear discharge of the battery from about 88% to nearly 45% without any app taking responsibility for this.

The battery health is 92% and it's regularly top-up charged and in good shape. The phone is 2 years old but sparingly used. The phone runs well and the battery has always been on peak performance capability. Background app refresh and all other privacy and battery draining settings are already set to save battery.

I've noticed this behaviour happening every now and then. The weird part is of course that there is no obvious reason for it to happen. It happened earlier even when the phone was on flight mode. This time the network was on. In any case, are there scenarios where some system resource is draining the battery, but it is not showing up on this graph?

Can others on older phones such as the IP7 and 8 share their experiences on this issue? I am also thinking of battery-gate here, and if it's possible that Apple is doing something without telling me.

Thanks!

My i7, same problem on 14.2.
But have a little bit improvement on 14.3.

Mike-G

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2013
UK
I have this on my iPhone 7. It’s improved massively since I turned off raise to wake, in the display settings. I also turned off animations, transparenc, background app refresh etc, to improve battery life. I get through a day now easily on my nearly 4 year old phone

Reactions: arfbsantoso

n1smo

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011
No issues with my 7+ running iOS 14. My wife’s 6s sleeps like a baby as well. You may want to perform a DFU restore.

F5A70913-612F-4514-AE22-975D807AE040.jpg

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
No issues with my 7+ running iOS 14. My wife’s 6s sleeps like a baby as well. You may want to perform a DFU restore.

View attachment 1699066
Yes, I've seen that on my phone too.
The puzzle as I said is this mysterious linear discharge for no apparent reason every now and then. Could be a bug or something Apple is doing in the background.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
My i7, same problem on 14.2.
But have a little bit improvement on 14.3.
Is there some way to reach out to other users to see if they're facing the same issue?
This could be a bug of sorts, but it sure doesn't inspire confidence in Apple's claims about supporting older devices.
It's quite irritating to say the least!

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I have this on my iPhone 7. It’s improved massively since I turned off raise to wake, in the display settings. I also turned off animations, transparenc, background app refresh etc, to improve battery life. I get through a day now easily on my nearly 4 year old phone
That's interesting. I've seen this behaviour only when I keep the phone aside for the night.
I am wondering why raise to wake would make a difference when I am not even touching the phone.
I could try that but the raise to wake feature is so useful :)

Mike-G

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2013
UK
That's interesting. I've seen this behaviour only when I keep the phone aside for the night.
I am wondering why raise to wake would make a difference when I am not even touching the phone.
I could try that but the raise to wake feature is so useful :)

I tried loads of stuff. Clean iOS install from iTunes fixed the issue temporarily, but the issue always came back after about a week. Turning off raise to wake has given me the best results and has been working for a month or 2 now. It hasn‘t 100% cured it, but I can live with it. I may lose up to 20% battery overnight, where before the battery could completely drain from 70% charge.

AMSOS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
I tried loads of stuff. Clean iOS install from iTunes fixed the issue temporarily, but the issue always came back after about a week. Turning off raise to wake has given me the best results and has been working for a month or 2 now. It hasn‘t 100% cured it, but I can live with it. I may lose up to 20% battery overnight, where before the battery could completely drain from 70% charge.
You've been thorough! My battery discharge is not that bad but I am guessing they are related.
I'll try to switch of raise to wake and see if that permanently solves the issue.
Do you think Apple may be doing this deliberately? Or, is this just a bug they don't want to iron out?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
My iPhone 8 on 14.3 discharged 3% last night. It doesn't have a SIM card installed and wasn't connected to a network.
On my daily driver iPhone 6 Plus, if I put it in airplane mode and Low Power Mode, it will discharge 1% over night. Without Low Power, maybe 4-5% (airplane mode still on).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.