Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
I have noticed in the summer and winter when it gets windy I get short of breath and was wondering if others here have this problem?

Now that it is winter and windy I have noticed the short of breath when it is windy out side.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I have noticed in the summer and winter when it gets windy I get short of breath and was wondering if others here have this problem?

Now that it is winter and windy I have noticed the short of breath when it is windy out side.
Not at all. How is your fitness levels? Or do you have any issues with breathing like asthma etc?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Do you experience shortness of breath under any other conditions, such as when you have walked up a hill, or, when climbing a flight of stairs?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I would go and see my healthcare professional ... it could be allergies, it could be something else

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
Do you experience shortness of breath under any other conditions, such as when you have walked up a hill, or, when climbing a flight of stairs?

I don't have trouble going up the stairs that is strange thing. It seems to be only when it is windy out side.

Do you think this is some thing I should say the doctor?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't have trouble going up the stairs that is strange thing.
And if you happen to head up the stairs twice or three times in fairly rapid succession, does that still apply?
It seems to be only when it is windy out side.

What about walking up a steep (and long) hill?

Over twenty years ago, it was the fact that he felt a bit breathless having walked up a fairly steep hill that alerted my father to the fact that this was not what he usually felt and that he probably ought to raise with his doctor.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

I read this as saying you are short of breath when it's windy outside, whether or not you are outside as well. That's probably just the literalist in me.

Usually only in winter, if I am walking outside into a strong wind, it temporarily takes my breath away. I sometimes have to turn to the side as I am gasping for air in order to catch my breath. This doesn't seem to happen in summer, perhaps because it is windy more often here in cold weather, or, I'm not outside in the rain in summer, which is when it's more likely to be windy.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't have trouble going up the stairs that is strange thing. It seems to be only when it is windy out side.

Look, I'm not a doctor, and an online forum (and one dedicated to discussion of tech matters, at that), is not the sort of place where one should contemplate heading to when seeking informed, or qualified, medical advice.

However, having said that, if anything makes you breathless on a regular basis, then, this is something - in my opinion - that you should give thought to telling your doctor about, when you next pay them a visit.

Last edited:

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
And if you happen to head up the stairs twice or three times in fairly rapid succession, does that still apply?

What about walking up a steep (and long) hill?

Over twenty years ago, it was the fact that he felt a bit breathless having walked up a fairly steep hill that alerted my father to the fact that this was not what he usually felt and that he probably ought to raise with his doctor.
If I go up the stairs three times really fast I breath bit more heavily. But out side when it is windy out side it feels like all the oxygen in my body is gone and I can’t catch my breath (like if some one has hand over my mouth and nose) unlike if I run up the stairs three times and just breath bit more heavily.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If I go up the stairs three times really fast I breath bit more heavily. But out side when it is windy out side it feels like all the oxygen in my body is gone and I can’t catch my breath (like if some one has hand over my mouth and nose) unlike if I run up the stairs three times and just breath bit more heavily.
If you feel breathless frequently - irrespective of the activity, or cause - then, I suggest that you make an appointment to see someone who is qualified to diagnose what is wrong (in other words, a doctor) and who will discuss remedies and/or actions to ameliorate it with you.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015
If you feel breathless frequently - irrespective of the activity, or cause - then, I suggest that you make an appointment to see someone who is qualified to diagnose what is wrong (in other words, a doctor) and who will discuss remedies and/or actions to ameliorate it with you.
I just was not sure if it is normal to get short of breath when it is windy out side. Like if most people don’t have this problem than there may be some thing medical going on and I may have to see doctor about it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I just was not sure if it is normal to get short of breath when it is windy out side. Like if most people don’t have this problem than there may be some thing medical going on and I may have to see doctor about it.
And again, I repeat, this is primarily a tech forum: Most of the members here are not qualified to tender medical advice or to advise on what is considered "normal" in a health context.

However, if something leads to shortness of breath, a doctor is the person you need to discuss this with, not random individuals on a social media platform; doctors are qualified to diagnose the problem, to discuss this with you, and to treat it, as well.

Last edited:

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
And again, I repeat, this is primarily a tech forum: Most of the members here are not qualified to tender medical advice or to advise on what is considered "normal" in a health context.

However, if something leads to shortness of breath, a doctor is the person you need to discuss this with, not random individuals on a social media platform; doctors are qualified to diagnose the problem, to discuss this with you, and to treat it, as well.
Yes.

You can certainly discuss it as a plain fact - "hey, I feel short of breath when it's windy outside" - I mean, kinda random, but okay. You just want people to know that. Fine, whatever. What doesn't work is when people (not pointing fingers, just people in general) try to seek medical advice on ANY social media platform. It's not limited to this site by any means. They sometimes end up getting false information that leads to even worse health. It's not worth it. I almost think this very thing needs its own thread, huh. I'll consider it. As long as it doesn't turn into a political mess, I'd be happy with a thread about that.

Last edited:

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2015

I just don’t know how a doctor will know with out polling people if they get shortage of breath out side when it is windy. It just seems some people don’t get short of breath when it is windy at least low and medium wind, Because I gone for a walk with 4 people and I was the only one that got short of breath and had to cover my mouth to stop the wind from hitting it. And yes I’m getting it with low and medium wind.

There has not been anyone in this thread saying they get short of breath when it is windy out side so that tells me may be it not normal.

Most people seek medical help walking up the stairs or doing some kind of work like cleaning the house or moving boxes or some thing and get short of breath because they are out of shape or have some medical problem.

May be I should try doing other things and see if I get short of breath like moving boxes around, carrying boxes from one part of house to other or cleaning or some thing.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
One time, we had 60 MPH gusts and if you stood into the wind, yeah, you can feel it a little bit. But only in extremes like that. But not normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.