Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedmark97

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2019
I am using the first generation and I think it ’s fine...
lADPDgQ9rSq1c_XNC9DNC9A_3024_3024.jpg_620x10000q90g.jpg

[automerge]1575279230[/automerge]
I mean, the third generation of AirPods like this.

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
I don’t think so. They may update the AirPods Pro at some point. That’s my $.02 for what it’s worth.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
There will continue to be non-pro and Pro models.

The in-ear design (and price point) of the Pro's is way too polarizing to become the only one.

I definitely expect another revision of normal/original Airpods at some point.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Im anticipating an update in maybe 2-3 years. Probably some health feature additions, like a hearing aid mode that would simply amplify external sounds, or some improved noise cancellation where they could be viable as earplugs in loud environments. Live/active audio translations would be cool for conversations with international folk. Apple has room to improve, and they will always do so; otherwise they'd go the way of the airport routers and simply discontinue them.

Now im talking airpods in general, but if we are talking pro vs non-pro; i expect it to be the same situation as the iphones. A pro version with the cool new features, and a non-pro version getting the features of the older pro generation. So I could foresee a non-pro airpod 3rd gen with active noise cancellation.

I personally prefer the style of the non pro versions (especially the case) but I wish that they could somehow implement the Powerbeat Pro battery life into them, thats truly my only want out of a new generation.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.