Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If yes, do you set it to fixed or head tracked?

• No

• Yes (fixed)

• Yes (head tracked)

• Results

Results are only viewable after voting.

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Nope. I thought it was fun for the first night - then realized that you lose low end bass so I've turned it off now.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
My brain’s still working it out.

I usually turn this stuff off as I prefer the source material in its natural form (same goes with picture settings on my TV, where I turn off all motion enhancement).

Right now, I think it sometimes works like an Equaliser & helps some music.

Not sure as yet…

Franconian

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2022
Germany
No. At first I was exited but then I noticed it's just a little bit louder and voices are off/weird. Ok for Techno, EDM etc though.

trife

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2012
I had to turn it off. It makes music sound like one AirPod is ever so slightly behind the other, almost like an echo. No thanks.

digitalprty

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
I tried it, but ultimately, I leave it off. I listen to a lot of LCR-panned music. Having the spatial audio change the instruments to somewhere in between sounds wrong. I do wish I could keep the lower bass, though.

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
To be honest, I have it set to head tracking but I don't know why. I don't know why I should care about spatial audio. Right now, I'm just playing around with it to see what's the utility in all of this. I mostly listen to podcasts and not music though.

Reactions: tgara

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
No. It was fun to experiment with it at first, and it might work well for songs that have actually been mixed and mastered with special audio in mind, but for the other 99.9% of tracks in my playlist, it simply sounds worse. It’ll be interesting to see if and how this develops over the years.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I like it On all the time now. AirPods Pro is not going to reproduce anything like my in-monitors, so I might as well lean into the fun techno artifice of spatial audio instead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.