Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
Hello all!

I just wanted to tell you about three different issues that I had with my 2018 MacBook Pro that you may want to watch out for.

1. Pink dot on LCD screen
  2. Graphic garbling on the screen
  3. Failed keyboard

Yup! I won the lemon tech lottery with this Mac. The screen got replaced for the pink dot problem (which appeared after the graphic garbling issues), but it didn't fix the garbling issue. At that point, the keyboard also failed (sticky keys), and so I dropped it at Apple for the logic board, and the topcase to be replaced. That's pretty much a new computer, but Apple insisted on repairing it and did not want to replace the whole machine instead.
So if you have a 2018 MacBook Pro be on the lookout for those issues.

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Hello all!

I just wanted to tell you about three different issues that I had with my 2018 MacBook Pro that you may want to watch out for.

1. Pink dot on LCD screen
  2. Graphic garbling on the screen
  3. Failed keyboard

Yup! I won the lemon tech lottery with this Mac. The screen got replaced for the pink dot problem (which appeared after the graphic garbling issues), but it didn't fix the garbling issue. At that point, the keyboard also failed (sticky keys), and so I dropped it at Apple for the logic board, and the topcase to be replaced. That's pretty much a new computer, but Apple insisted on repairing it and did not want to replace the whole machine instead.
So if you have a 2018 MacBook Pro be on the lookout for those issues.

Mine’s been fine so far (knock on wood) but I got AppleCare+ for it because I’m scared it might develop issues

Reactions: brianone

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
I have my own and a work issued one and the only frequent odd issue that I've seen is the "graphic garbling." However, it's very very rare and I'm willing to blame drivers. It happened more often when the laptop was first released.

I get BridgeOS crashes every few months. The last one was right after the latest bios update a few days ago.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I have my own and a work issued one and the only frequent odd issue that I've seen is the "graphic garbling." However, it's very very rare and I'm willing to blame drivers. It happened more often when the laptop was first released.

I get BridgeOS crashes every few months. The last one was right after the latest bios update a few days ago.

It's not a driver problem because my 2019 doesn't have this issue, and driverwise it's the same as the 2018 model.
[doublepost=1558979289][/doublepost]
I have the graphic garbling issue on my 15" 2018 MBP.....ugh

Bring it to Apple. Don't wait until it's too late. Feel free to show my video if it's intermittent and doesn't happen during the appointment.
[doublepost=1558979505][/doublepost]
Mine's used daily and working perfectly! There are plenty of others here having the same success. YMMV. I also purchased AppleCare just in case.

Sure, for now. The purpose of this is make people aware of the issue. Also no one should have to buy extended warranty to be protected against manufacturing defects... Like the keyboard ;-)
Glad you're not having any issues, watch out for them!

Last edited:

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
I read that the 2018 and 2019 keyboards are covered by an extended warranty by Apple for 4 years. It did give me a bit of extra confidence in case mine should have any issues.

DeanL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 29, 2014
London
I read that the 2018 and 2019 keyboards are covered by an extended warranty by Apple for 4 years. It did give me a bit of extra confidence in case mine should have any issues.

Yeah but what after 4 years?
It's a manufacturing defect known by Apple. It should be for life. No corporation should profit from something wrong they've done.
$4,000 laptops should last wayyy more than 4 years, so it's unreasonable that the program ends after 4 years, when they know it might break again past that window.

Also, the fact that Apple released a 2019 model and included it in the program shows mens rea.

Reactions: Mendota

Lalinda Sampath

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
Is this the pink dot issue you had?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-09-14 at 8.52.17 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-09-14 at 8.52.17 PM.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 115
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.