Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I dinged my AW on a metal bar yesterday, when I was closing a window.

Being obsessive, I've checked and checked, and I think there may be a TINY little blemish, but that is only when really examining, under bright light.

I have the SS watch, which apparently is more durable.

What about you?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I have a tiny ding that I did shortly after purchasing my S8.
I was slightly annoyed at myself then I forgot all about it until I‘ve seen this post.
It took me a long time to actually find the ding again. That small.

Just enjoy your watch.

Last edited:

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I have a tiny ding that I did shortly after purchasing my S8.
I was slightly annoyed at myself then I forgot all bout until I‘ve seen this post.
It took me a long time to actually find the ding again. That small.

Just enjoy your watch.
Thanks, buddy, and sorry to hear you got a ding.

How did it happen?

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I'm incredibly clumsy and constantly crashing in to things. After less than a year of use my AW6 was full of dings and the crystal was badly scratched. So, I bought the original Ultra and after 18 months of use, including scuba diving, it remains blemish free.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
My aluminium watches held up well. I had a tiny ding on one of them. I was reasonably careful, but I wore one during tough mudder so I’m not obsessive about it or anything.

My Ultra still appears brand new. I can’t find any dings, although I have a third party titanium band that I regularly use and that’s showing some light scuffs and scratches.

For normal use I’ve had no issues with either the aluminium watches or the Ultra.

Ironically I was checking out my Tag the other day. That’s pretty scratched up on the steel, but the screen is still pristine.

I think any watch will pick up wear and tear if you wear it often enough. I’m on with that. None of mine are investments.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
AW is a tool for me and thus will show wear over time ... my U2 looks "normal" when I look at it, having said that, I'm not going to look for any scratches or blemishes or ... now, IF I were wearing a $10k Rolex or Cartier, I might feel different, but that is purely hypothetical

honerabledm

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
Denver
I have the aluminum S9. I went to a comedy show and the required you put any recording devices, phones, smart watches, etc, into a sealed bag they gave to you for during the show. Other than the thought of my wife being home with my kiddos and not being able to check on/hear from them, I didn’t mind. But when I got home I had a bunch of gouges in the screen. Of course when I mentioned it, they denied it was them. It is on the side of the screen away from content. So no major deal. Just obnoxious.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
AW is a tool for me and thus will show wear over time ... my U2 looks "normal" when I look at it, having said that, I'm not going to look for any scratches or blemishes or ... now, IF I were wearing a $10k Rolex or Cartier, I might feel different, but that is purely hypothetical
This.

Starting with the original Apple Watch, I've now had five generations. They are very disposable and should be treated as such. Even if you sell it in two years, the difference in resale value you'd get from pristine vs. a few scratches is <$50.

So there's no financial reason to keep it pristine (unlike the $10K traditional watches mentioned above). I can't be bothered to baby something that is so utilitarian, and which has a a more finite usable lifespan than probably any other recent Apple product. How much is a mint-in-box Apple Watch Series 0 worth these days? $20?

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
I dinged my AW on a metal bar yesterday, when I was closing a window.

Being obsessive, I've checked and checked, and I think there may be a TINY little blemish, but that is only when really examining, under bright light.

I have the SS watch, which apparently is more durable.

What about you?

I recall that you bought a Cape Cod polishing cloth last time this happened to your watch. Have you tried to buff out the blemish yet?

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I recall that you bought a Cape Cod polishing cloth last time this happened to your watch. Have you tried to buff out the blemish yet?
I actually can't see anything, now.

I'm going to stop looking for imperfections, because if you look long enough, you will eventually find something.

I'm just going to enjoy my watch, and all my straps (which I change every day) and look forward to the next release. I won't let this one go, for sentimental reasons, but I'll upgrade this year. I just hope the existing straps are compatible.

Thanks again, and take care.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I've damaged an S2 Sport (cracked screen), S4 Sport (minor dings) and scratched an S6 stainless (scratched it with the Milanese loop... i.e., damaged it with itself, lol).

However I've knocked my Ultra 2 on a lot of stuff, and it is currently 100% defect free (so far).

Which makes sense given the materials, but just figured I'd confirm that the more durable materials do actually help :D

TorontoSS

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
My S4 got a ding in it pretty early on. It was in the screen - like a very very deep scratch or something. Whilst it bothered me a tad, i lived with it for 2 years happily. I will say, it bothered me more because it was on the screen and i looked at it. if it were on the side, i wouldn't mind as much.

i have an S7 titanium and it has scratches on side/body but that really does not bother me. it's like having a stainless steel watch, you know scratches will come up and that's fine. the screen is great. it's not FLAWLESS, the way it's advertised to have no scratches. there are one or two but they're very very minor. still a massive difference to my aluminium watch screens but they're there and they don't bother me at all.

mquinn

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Normal, IL
I have a few pretty decent scratches on my screen. I have AppleCare+ on the watch. Will they replace/fix that and do you think it's worth it?

Attachments

• IMG_2185.jpeg
    IMG_2185.jpeg
    337.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Wow
Reactions: Howard2k

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I have a few pretty decent scratches on my screen. I have AppleCare+ on the watch. Will they replace/fix that and do you think it's worth it?
AC+ will not do anything for scratches, however in your case, the top scratch is so deep that it could be interpreted as a crack. No harm in trying, but be prepared for a refusal.

Is it worthy?
Probably not if you plan to collect more scratches in the near future.

Reactions: mquinn

Bichon

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
It's unlikely that you'll get Apple to replace it, and even if you do, you'll pay a $79 damage replacement fee for a watch with the same easily scratched ion-x glass crystal as the one you have now. If it were me, I'd hold off until the 10th generation watches come out next fall and upgrade to a stainless steel one with a sapphire crystal.

Reactions: mquinn

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
On my SS S7, I have several surface level scratches on the case itself. My S9 aluminum still look like new (for now).

Reactions: delsoul

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I’ve never had any issues on my stainless steel Apple Watches. My series 7, I bought the aluminum model. I got a nice big scratch on the screen which was very visible in direct light, and otherwise only seen if I was really looking for it.

Decided to upgrade to the Ultra 1 at the beginning of last year, first thing I did was put a screen protector on it. No damage at all on the body, despite wearing it nearly 24/7. But, I've had to replace the screen protector a couple times due to it being cracked and scratched.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.