Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I am thinking of setting this up but I would like to hear from other's experiences. Does it make the internet better? Or do you find it stuttering websites and services? Do you recommend it?

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
I tried a variation of it inline with my Bind9 installation and had no issues personally, but it broke some of my wife's workflows, so in the end I decided to remove the entire thing instead of fixing each of the issues she encountered. As it is I run content blockers in my browsers instead. The drawback is that each computer/tablet does the same thing multiple times. The benefit is that it works even when on other networks (when not using a VPN via my home connection, that is).

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019
I don't use Pi-hole but I do run a DNS sinkhole called pfBlockerNg on my pfSense router. It does the exact same thing as Pi-hole, which I'd be using if I didn't use pfSense (i.e. if I had a normal router). Anyway, yes, I really like having that functionality and I highly recommend it. It's like having an ad blocker for not only your web browser but every app you use on every device you have. It's really nice if you use non-browser apps that don't support ad blockers (e.g. Apple/Google News). I also work with a few people who use Pi-hole and they also really like it.

I will warn you that these things tend to be a little too aggressive at first and they will most likely blacklist legitimate sites you need or want to go to. For example, pfBlockerNg was blocking all of ea.com which was annoying for my wife since she plays The Sims 4 and it wasn't working until I whitelisted it. I've heard similar stories from my Pi-hole using friends. However, it's easy to whitelist such sites. I had everything working fine within a few days.

These things aren't perfect either. You'll still probably see ads if they're served by the same server that's serving up whatever content you're looking at. For example, you might still see YouTube ads. Still though, they handle the great majority of ads in general.

You'll also still probably want to run an ad blocker in your browser otherwise you'll see empty areas on websites where the ads would have been. Ad blockers remove those.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I don't use Pi-hole but I do run a DNS sinkhole called pfBlockerNg on my pfSense router. It does the exact same thing as Pi-hole, which I'd be using if I didn't use pfSense (i.e. if I had a normal router). Anyway, yes, I really like having that functionality and I highly recommend it. It's like having an ad blocker for not only your web browser but every app you use on every device you have. It's really nice if you use non-browser apps that don't support ad blockers (e.g. Apple/Google News). I also work with a few people who use Pi-hole and they also really like it.

I will warn you that these things tend to be a little too aggressive at first and they will most likely blacklist legitimate sites you need or want to go to. For example, pfBlockerNg was blocking all of ea.com which was annoying for my wife since she plays The Sims 4 and it wasn't working until I whitelisted it. I've heard similar stories from my Pi-hole using friends. However, it's easy to whitelist such sites. I had everything working fine within a few days.

These things aren't perfect either. You'll still probably see ads if they're served by the same server that's serving up whatever content you're looking at. For example, you might still see YouTube ads. Still though, they handle the great majority of ads in general.

You'll also still probably want to run an ad blocker in your browser otherwise you'll see empty areas on websites where the ads would have been. Ad blockers remove those.

thank you, my biggest fear is that some services might stop working, stutter, or slow down as your example with The Sims 4. I don't mind some ads coming in, because the other option is to have ads all around.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
thank you, my biggest fear is that some services might stop working, stutter, or slow down as your example with The Sims 4. I don't mind some ads coming in, because the other option is to have ads all around.
The pi hole won’t slow down your internet speed, and you can easily whitelist specific hosts when you need to. I’ve been running a Pi Hole for more than a year and it works great.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have been using Pi-hole for several years. I love it so much I have a monthly donation to the project. It's the best thing to happen to the Internet for the end-user.

If a person has a very slow Internet connection, then yes, Pi-hole can in theory make it a little faster. It works that way because it prevents the browser from going out to the Internet to fetch the ads, download them to the browser and thus consume precious bandwidth. In-browser ad-blockers still download the ads, they just mask their view from you.

I have over 3.5 million domains on my block lists right now. When you first install Pi-hole it comes with a default set of about 100,00 or so I think. As you add more block lists you'll have a little bit of work to do to white list or black list sites to your desire. But once you get through that phase, it's pretty much easy going with little maintenance to do.

I have Pi-hole running on my home network, my office network and I have a self-built cloud server running OpenVPN with Pi-hole on it. I use that when I'm mobile so that I'm always protected by Pi-hole no matter where I am or what device I'm using.

I can't recommend it enough.

I also have a pfSense Netgate firewall and could use pfBlocker if I wanted to. But I like Pi-hole a lot better.

MrRabuf

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2019

I wouldn't worry about any slow downs. It's just acting as your DNS server and that's it.

Yes, you might experience some growing pains as it might blacklist sites you actually want to go to but these sorts of issues are pretty easy to fix. Pi-hole should have some sort of UI that shows you what sites it's blocking. If/when you find a case where something's not working, check that list and see if anything should be white listed. For me, it was obvious what needed to be white listed, however, it might take some trial and error.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I use AdGuard's DNS servers, which are free and block ads
https://adguard.com/en/adguard-dns/overview.html

I have been using Pi-hole for several years. I love it so much I have a monthly donation to the project. It's the best thing to happen to the Internet for the end-user.

If a person has a very slow Internet connection, then yes, Pi-hole can in theory make it a little faster. It works that way because it prevents the browser from going out to the Internet to fetch the ads, download them to the browser and thus consume precious bandwidth. In-browser ad-blockers still download the ads, they just mask their view from you.

I have over 3.5 million domains on my block lists right now. When you first install Pi-hole it comes with a default set of about 100,00 or so I think. As you add more block lists you'll have a little bit of work to do to white list or black list sites to your desire. But once you get through that phase, it's pretty much easy going with little maintenance to do.

I have Pi-hole running on my home network, my office network and I have a self-built cloud server running OpenVPN with Pi-hole on it. I use that when I'm mobile so that I'm always protected by Pi-hole no matter where I am or what device I'm using.

I can't recommend it enough.

I also have a pfSense Netgate firewall and could use pfBlocker if I wanted to. But I like Pi-hole a lot better.

This is an interesting solution, AdGuard DNS server, is there any advantage disadvantage over Pi-Hole?

You use Amazon for cloud server?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I have installed a PiHole... all in all, its not a life changing method but it enhances your browsing. For like $70 or less, it might be worth your time. I feel like using uBlock Origin is cheaper, easier, and give equal results. The thing with PiHole is that it gives you ad-less Wifi on all devices and on all apps.

If you are not bothered by ads, don't install it. If you have $70 or less to spare, it can only enhance your life.
Note: You can install it for cheaper, but $70 is the headache-less way.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
I don't use Pi-Hole, but I do have my router block a huge list of adservers by their IP addresses. It helps, but a browser adblocker is still good to use as well for element hiding.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I have had Pi-Hole installed for quite some time now. Just recently moved it over to a RasPi4 just to try out the new hardware.
I have 4 of them to do various testing on, but back to the point.

I like PiHole and what it does. I've added several other lists to mine so I have a little over 700K domains on the blocklist.
I just like it because once it is setup once on the network, that's it. I have about a dozen computers in the house and knowing that I only have to update a single source to get a similar experience across them all is quite nice for me.

I definitely do not notice stutter. I never had it on a RasPi3, which did have slower ethernet, but it was installed on an old mini Dell computer/Ubuntu Server and again, recently transitioned to a RasPi4.
I don't get any stuttering and I have Gigabit internet and the Pi seems to handle all of the requests seamlessly.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I have had Pi-Hole installed for quite some time now. Just recently moved it over to a RasPi4 just to try out the new hardware.
I have 4 of them to do various testing on, but back to the point.

I like PiHole and what it does. I've added several other lists to mine so I have a little over 700K domains on the blocklist.
I just like it because once it is setup once on the network, that's it. I have about a dozen computers in the house and knowing that I only have to update a single source to get a similar experience across them all is quite nice for me.

I definitely do not notice stutter. I never had it on a RasPi3, which did have slower ethernet, but it was installed on an old mini Dell computer/Ubuntu Server and again, recently transitioned to a RasPi4.
I don't get any stuttering and I have Gigabit internet and the Pi seems to handle all of the requests seamlessly.

I found the ultimate list: https://dbl.oisd.nl
its blocks almost everything you don't want, yet everything you want to work, works flawless. If you use it, please donate to the maintainer.

Just go settings->Blocklists , then paste the URL in the blank field and click "save and update"...tada

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
I am thinking of setting this up but I would like to hear from other's experiences. Does it make the internet better? Or do you find it stuttering websites and services? Do you recommend it?

I'm new to the Pi-Hole, so take this for what it's worth.

It seems to me that a Rasperry Pi of almost any stripe is more than suitable for running Pi-Hole in a home network. I'm running Pi_Hole on a Raspberry B (revision 000e, bought it in 2014, not sure of the model anymore! lol), and it's not even breaking a sweat.

I've noticed no hiccups, stalls, stutters or any other missteps in network performance. I've only noticed the sweet absence of ads!

I set up a friend with a Pi Zero and it's doing duty wirelessly with no problems at all.

And yes, it definitely makes the internet better. I like to play with VMs and it's a joy just being able to fire up a browser without fiddling with an adblocker. I also took the next step and set up a VPN to my home network so I could surf ad-free on cellular data.

Hope this helps.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I found the ultimate list: https://dbl.oisd.nl
its blocks almost everything you don't want, yet everything you want to work, works flawless. If you use it, please donate to the maintainer.

Just go settings->Blocklists , then paste the URL in the blank field and click "save and update"...tada
I agree, I am definitely a "pay it forward" type. If someone releases good software of products for nothing I will throw some cash there way for the time and energy they put in to creating it.

Thanks for listing this one.

Diamond Dog

Cancelled
Apr 6, 2018
I have a self-built cloud server running OpenVPN with Pi-hole on it. I use that when I'm mobile so that I'm always protected by Pi-hole no matter where I am or what device I'm using.
I've been thinking about doing this. I have a Pi-hole running at home, but would love to be able to use it on the go too. Do you just use the $5/month droplet plan?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
In most cases, performance is actually improved (There is quite a a bit of caching going on behind the scenes).

I have happily been running PiHole in a VM, and it has been so effective in reducing ads/etc that it I have rolled it out to several customers that have a history of naivety in terms of Internet use.

There is the option to whitelist domains, so if you come across a site that is blocked for whatever reason, it is easily bypassed.

Highly recommended.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.