Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martin2345uk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Essex
As above, to do the east transfer thing where you scan the wobbly pattern on the screen and it copies stuff over, does that need WiFi to work?

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
It’s possible Apple uses a peer-to-peer WiFi connection (like they do in AirDrop) to transfer the contents. It seems probable since some folks setting up new phones won’t have access to WiFi, which could result in extremely long setup scenarios and a poor out of the box experience (which has a profound impact on long-term customer satisfaction.)

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It’s possible Apple uses a peer-to-peer WiFi connection (like they do in AirDrop) to transfer the contents. It seems probable since some folks setting up new phones won’t have access to WiFi, which could result in extremely long setup scenarios and a poor out of the box experience (which has a profound impact on long-term customer satisfaction.)
While maybe, if airdrop quality on large files (or any files for that matter) is anything to go by, I’d much rather iOS hooks onto a wifi network than trying to transfer files via airdrop-like mechanism.

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
While maybe, if airdrop quality on large files (or any files for that matter) is anything to go by, I’d much rather iOS hooks onto a wifi network than trying to transfer files via airdrop-like mechanism.
Huh, I’ve transferred multi-gigabyte files via AirDrop between my Mac, iPad and iPhone and haven’t had any issues. It’s always been incredibly reliable for me.

Cyloncat

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
NC, USA
Almost certainly, yes. Upgraged my spouse's phone a few months ago to a 13 mini, and both phones had to be on store wifi.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Huh, I’ve transferred multi-gigabyte files via AirDrop between my Mac, iPad and iPhone and haven’t had any issues. It’s always been incredibly reliable for me.
The whole experience is the exact opposite for me. Guess YMMV. In fact, wireless file transfer experience overall for me has been awful and horrible. I am talking about LAN-based wireless transfer, not through internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.