Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you leave mobile data on 24/7?

• Yes

Votes: 108 93.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 6.9%

• Total voters

appleuser15

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2015
Even when you are connected to WiFi, and does it run out easier this way? I get 3gb a month on my plan and was wondering if I could make it last by having it switched on constantly.

Edit. Does just simply leaving it on 24/7 drain the data?

Thanks,

Last edited:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I'm on Verizon and leave cellular data on all the time - uses about 3 to 4 GB each month. You might want to go into Settings > Cellular and set which apps can use cellular. That way you won't be wasting cellular data on apps that you don't use.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
As for wifi assist I have this turned off.

I'll be the one to decide what happens in regards to connection type and not Wifi Assist.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
As for wifi assist I have this turned off.

I'll be the one to decide what happens in regards to connection type and not Wifi Assist.
Actually, you won't, unless you are indeed constantly toggling your cellular data on/off.

Your phone already automatically hands off from wifi to cellular when the wifi signal is too weak. This feature merely adjusts the threshold to avoid a noticeable lapse in data.

I can't imagine being so worried about my data that I'm constantly having to be conscious about toggling my cellular radios on/off. What a hassle. I have a smartphone and a data plan to make my life and experience more convenient, but many seem dead set on being sure their devices make their lives the opposite. Odd.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
You do know that your post was superfluous...don't you?

The op doesn't have udp so saying that you do, doesn't help or hinder him.

Reactions: Solomani

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Yes as I have unlimited data and a phone with amazing battery life. I only use WiFi when I use phones that have sub-par battery.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Even when you are connected to WiFi, and does it run out easier this way? I get 3gb a month on my plan and was wondering if I could make it last by having it switched on constantly.

Thanks,
Yes. I leave mine on 24/7. I pay for Unlimited Data. I use Unlimited Data. I am not paying my provider to use my own WiFi or to use free WiFi when out to provide me a service I am paying THEM for.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I leave data on 24/7. I have so much built up data on T-Mobiles data stash that I will never use so I just leave data on. It doesn't affect the battery life at all.

There are times when I am downloading something on uTorrent and it sometimes will slow down something else using that same WiFi so it's nice to be able to have my phone not be affected by that.

noodles5666

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2010
Why would using Wi-Fi be bad otherwise?

I never said it was. I have unlimited data and choose to use it. My Nexus 6P is a tank on battery life, so I have no need to use WiFi. The only reason I would use WiFi is when I need to conserve my battery.

Reactions: eyoungren

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
mine is always on without fail. If wifi is on it shouldn't use any of your data anyway. Got unlimited so not an issue.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I keep my data on 24/7. I have a work sim card so technically I could use as much data as I like but in an attempt to stay off the radar I divide the data pool by the number of phones and it works out to ~2gb.

I'll stream music all day, use gps, browse the web, etc etc etc and rarely go above 2gb a month. Streaming video is what will kill your data plan.

To answer your question, you don't need to turn off cellular, it will make little difference. Just use wifi as often as you can and use common sense.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

Thanks,

If you're connected to wifi, why would cellular data be used even if it's on? When you're on wifi all data transfer happens through wifi, unless you have cellular assist or whatever it's called turned on. The only time I've ever turned off cellular data is when I was out of the country and didn't want to pay for international data.
[doublepost=1465789739][/doublepost]
I think my data is turned on always but my phone auto connects to wifi when im at home/work etc

Exactly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.