Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
I'm thinking of, at last, upgrading my iPad Air 2 to iOS 9 (9.3.3). Are there any features from iOS 8 that you miss in IOS 9?

Thanks.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I'm thinking of, at last, upgrading my iPad Air 2 to iOS 9 (9.3.3). Are there any features from iOS 8 that you miss in IOS 9?

Thanks.

My most missed feature from iOS 8 was how fluid and fast it was.

I also miss the old Music app (the one from before 8.4).

I would stay on iOS 8 for as long as possible because even 9.3.3 is still slower and even game performance is degraded (something that didn't happen until 9.3 for some reason).

Also, if you use auto-brightness, 9.3.3 has a glitch where if you're playing a game and the auto-brightness starts to kick in, your game will drop to a really low frame rate and make it very hard to play until your brightness is done adjusting. It wasn't like that before 9.3.2 by the way.

Each update keeps on messing up stuff that worked well before.

Bromio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2014
My most missed feature from iOS 8 was how fluid and fast it was.

I also miss the old Music app (the one from before 8.4).

I would stay on iOS 8 for as long as possible because even 9.3.3 is still slower and even game performance is degraded (something that didn't happen until 9.3 for some reason).

Also, if you use auto-brightness, 9.3.3 has a glitch where if you're playing a game and the auto-brightness starts to kick in, your game will drop to a really low frame rate and make it very hard to play until your brightness is done adjusting. It wasn't like that before 9.3.2 by the way.

Each update keeps on messing up stuff that worked well before.

Have you experienced those issues in an iPad Air 2?

AddisonIII

macrumors regular
May 8, 2013

Thanks.
Having an Air2 and using iOS 9.3.3 my only complaint is Safari locking up from time to time and becoming unresponsive. As for auto brightness causing poor game play, I don't have that problem since it's rare for me to play.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Only noticeable difference in my daily use is the number 8 or 9. Actually I don't really even see that unless I go into the settings.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
8.3 Music app

Old app switcher

And all the cool wallpapers 8 had, that were reduced to cancer wallpapers that you can't hardly tell what they are... except for the obvious ones.

Reactions: zepman and Bromio

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
All these people complaining about the newer Music app (and other things) in iOS 9, just don't like change.

The new multitasking screen makes a lot more sense when you start using it and once you get used the missing, changed or added features, iOS 9 is just as good as iOS 8.

Its working great on my Air 2 and I haven't had any problems thankfully, and I will happily update to iOS 10 when its available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bromio

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The iPad Air 2 is basically the same as the iPad mini 4 and I have tons of performance issues on my iPad mini 4.

Yeah, no its not. Air 2 is upwards of 50% faster on multi-core compared to the Mini 4. Main reason why I bought the Air 2 after the release of the Mini 4 and benchmarks came out.

images.png iPad-Air-4-Multi-core-benchmark.png

OP: I have no issues with 9.3.3 on my Air 2. I set it up as new, but there is no lagging or lockups.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Yeah, no its not. Air 2 is upwards of 50% faster on multi-core compared to the Mini 4. Main reason why I bought the Air 2 after the release of the Mini 4 and benchmarks came out.

View attachment 642283 View attachment 642284

OP: I have no issues with 9.3.3 on my Air 2. I set it up as new, but there is no lagging or lockups.

Hmm. I thought they were more similar than that. Oh well. At least it's got 2GB of RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.