Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacosAndBourbon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2019
Austin, TX
I have an iPhone 11 waiting for pickup but I'm really on the fence about getting rid of my iPhone 7. I love the idea of a better camera and all the latest tech... but lately it seems that Apple is trying to drive the train forward while adding "features" that people aren't hungry for. (face ID instead of home button, water resistance instead of headphone jack). Personally, I'd love to see a headphone jack return but now we're off topic.

With my home button screenshots are easy, double tapping for open apps is are elegantly presented, pulling up the control center makes sense to me, but one of my favorite features is being able to gently touch the home button to preview texts. I'm curious how people feel about the new face ID lock. Do people miss the home button? Is the face ID consistent? Was the adaptation trouble free? Let me know your thoughts!

I honestly think I'd be pretty ok with Apple's lesser of the three models to feature a home button.

jkulmtd

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2015
Embrace the change. It’s honestly a much more fluid experience without it. I can see why they chose to remove it now. Additionally, have you ever tried to take a screenshot with a home button and 1 hand? Impossible. Without the home button screenshots are allocated to the power button and the volume button so with a small hand gymnastic you can capture and share all with one hand. I’m big into screenshots so this a plus in my day-to-day.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Bethanie21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2015
I got my new 11 Pro on Friday, coming from an iPhone 8. I’ve never not had a home button until now. So far, I’m really getting used to it! There’s only been one occasion when I went to press the home button, forgetting it wasn’t there. Aside from that, I’m finding the home bar function fine.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I have an iPhone 11 waiting for pickup but I'm really on the fence about getting rid of my iPhone 7. I love the idea of a better camera and all the latest tech... but lately it seems that Apple is trying to drive the train forward while adding "features" that people aren't hungry for. (face ID instead of home button, water resistance instead of headphone jack). Personally, I'd love to see a headphone jack return but now we're off topic.

With my home button screenshots are easy, double tapping for open apps is are elegantly presented, pulling up the control center makes sense to me, but one of my favorite features is being able to gently touch the home button to preview texts. I'm curious how people feel about the new face ID lock. Do people miss the home button? Is the face ID consistent? Was the adaptation trouble free? Let me know your thoughts!

I honestly think I'd be pretty ok with Apple's lesser of the three models to feature a home button.
To my surprise I love having it gone and Face ID is great. I should have known Apple wouldn't "take away" something without having what,IMHO, is a superior solution. Within a day the gestures replacing the home button were perfectly natural. Your milage may vary though. Give it a try.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I never liked the home button so much. Touch gestures are way more intuitive and its quicker to swap between apps as well.

littlemidge

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Swiping up to get to your home screen is much easier and intuitive than clicking a home button. Less hardware to go wrong too. I don’t miss it.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Far from it, quite the opposite for me in fact. I’ve been using an iPhone 7 this past week, while waiting on my new phone.

It cemented just how much I prefer FaceID. Yes I’ve gotten used to it the past couple of years, but using the Home Button now just felt slow and clunky to me, certainly a lot less fluid. But it’s a divisive thing, there’s no doubt as many people who’d hate it and only use a Home Button. Such is the fickle nature of personal preference.

Photostat

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2019
I have been using my iPhone 11 since the day it was released. I don’t mind not having the home button. However, I don’t understand why people say that face ID is so great. Touch ID was completely seamless, there was absolutely no delay. I would press the home button while still lifting the iPhone up into view and it would be unlocked the second I saw the screen. Now, with Face ID, I’m always waiting for it to unlock. It might only be a second or less of a delay, but it’s still much worse than touch ID.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I have been using my iPhone 11 since the day it was released. I don’t mind not having the home button. However, I don’t understand why people say that face ID is so great. Touch ID was completely seamless, there was absolutely no delay. I would press the home button while still lifting the iPhone up into view and it would be unlocked the second I saw the screen. Now, with Face ID, I’m always waiting for it to unlock. It might only be a second or less of a delay, but it’s still much worse than touch ID.

Sometimes that’s a positive for me. I used to do the same with TouchID, it was generally unlocked before leaving my pocket. Which was fine, unless I fumbled it and did something random with all of the unwanted touches. But it never stopped me doing it :D

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I don't miss it at all, I VASTLY prefer swiping the home indicator to switch between apps and multitask. I also much prefer water resistance to the headphone jack (an example you quoted earlier) because Airpods and my QC35's take care of that for me.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Took a short time to get used to it, but no! I love that it’s gone and love the extra real estate. Swiping up is now second nature...

Duncanator

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2016
Took all of about 1 hour to get used it when I got the X. Now I have had the Xs and currently the 11 Pro. Do not miss it in the least. It provides a much more fluid experience without a home button.

michie0708

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2019
Dallas, TX
I upgraded to the 11 Pro Max from the 7 Plus. I thought I would miss the home button, but I don't. There are times when I find myself pressing it, but that's just because of muscle memory.

Touch ID was slow. I can't tell you how many times it would constantly fail and I would have to put my pass code. I LOVE face ID. My phone sits to the left of my keyboard at work (I have it on a keyboard tray at waist height)-- I double tap on the phone and it picks up the face ID without me even having to lean forward or even to the side.

I love that I don't have to press a button when opening apps that require passwords. There's no lag.

Plus I love the full screen. I wouldn't go back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.