Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonjourx

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2016
hello!

I'm planning on buying an iPad Pro 9.7 from a seller, it comes with an apple care plus, now I'm just a little confused as I've read online some said that the seller would need to transfer the apple care plus to me, while some said there's no need because the apple care plus is registered to the product, not to the owner. and here is the seller's message to me too:

"you dont need to transfer apple care plus to the new owner . you can confirm this through apple support or from any apple store . once you hav the ipad you can register it with ur apple id . nd it will register under ur name . coz this ipad has nevar been registered . and i m sorry i dont hav a receipt . but if you call apple care support and giv them the serial number they will b able to provide you with the information ."

Just wanna make sure which one is correct? does he needs to transfer it to me or there's no need, and if in the future I need to use the apple care plus, there wouldn't be a problem and apple won't look for a receipt or anything? thanks so much!!

RLesko

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
The AppCare follows the device, not the owner. No need for any transfer. Apple provides a webpage to check what coverage a certain device has, I would verify that that before purchasing. Also, if doing the deal in person, then remember to verify the device you are purchasing actually has the same serial number the seller previously provided you.

Reactions: MacManiac76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.