Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you prefer stability of new features?

• Stability

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • New features

Votes: 17 11.6%

• Total voters

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Its kind of cool to be a beta tester, I used to beta test some norton apps on the PC years ago before Symantec bought them out. That was fun, but I can see running a beta operating system presents itself with a lot more challenges.

I am retiring from my super busy job that keeps me out of touch here during the week. But in August i will retire to a job that will take me 3 hours a day to do and will be free, free, free to persue fun stuff the rest of my day. Cant wait! I can certainly see myself devoting some of my machines to beta testing and the like. Even though I'm in my 60's, I am savvy and the family's IT guy. I took Fortran in college many years ago and was one of the few people in the class that got it lol. Computers took up a whole room then, and a big room at that!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
My machine currently does all that I want, but improved stability would be a welcomed… feature addition.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
I understand the question to be about final version, not beta.

The title is relatively loose but the opening post made the question specific. With added emphasis:

… What's more important to you right now …?

@Takuro would you like to edit the title of the topic? (There's an actions menu, a cog icon, above your opening post.) And/or add an option to the poll. Thanks.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
i expect apple to provide stability for the features that is markets and sells its software as having.
if apple says its software can do such-and-such, then it needs to be able to do that.

Reactions: grahamperrin

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Stability is the most important. If it isn't stable, the extra features are useless. The competition, Windows, is very stable these days, so OSX has to meet or exceed it.

Bobby dazzler

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2013
OS X Yosemite often gets some complaints due to stability issues and bugs. Many folks feel now is the time to work on a release that is as stable as Snow Leopard has been.

Apparently Apple engineers felt this way too, since El Capitan does not introduce much new functionality and instead seems to be aimed at defect resolution. I'm just curious how many of you feel the same way.

What's more important to you right now, stability or new features?

Stability. Features are nothing without stability.

Snow leopard was brilliantly stable. Slowyemite is shocking.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
This question really depends on the circumstances. With Yosemite I have all of the features I can use. Sometimes I almost feel like the OS needs to be simplified a bit, but that's just me. So my vote is for stability. I'd like to see work done to make Safari more stable, and especially the mail application which is very unreliable to me. It seems like working on stability is the right focus for Apple at this time.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Stability all day everyday. Want features? Look at Yosemite and how utter trash it is. El Capitan is a huge improvement. Since beta 2, Mission Control has been smooth as butter on retina Macs.

Hog Milanese

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Austin
Stability. We have some incredibly powerful machines, but they show signs of lag and slowdown all over the place in Yosemite. That's absurd and unthinkable in this day and age. Software developers have gotten lazy at Apple.

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
If "stability" also includes refinements of features that have been added a few renditions ago, then I'm all for it. Best example is Spotlight: Putting it immovably in the middle of the screen is probably one of the stupidest decisions from Apple's software department in a long time. There are many more examples like that. I think Apple realized how big the stack of "unfinished thoughts" became in their software and simply needed to clean up before reaching out for new things.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Functionality isn't necessarily inversely proportional to the stability. El Capitan doesn't have that much new features, yet with DP1 they managed to break several things without adding any functionality to them lol.

So yeah, each release should have at least some new features worth mentioning, cause it will have stability issues in the early releases either way. And what's the point in fixing them if older OS offers the similar features and is more stable?

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
+1

Are you still using it on a daily basis?
I was up until upgrading to Mavericks, and because I had an older model there were some stutters. That machine has since died, and now I'm using a 2015 Air, so to answer your question: No.

I began feeling pains when apps - even tiny little stupid apps - went from version 2.0 to 2.0.2 and began frikin' requiring that I had 10.8 or later. Damn them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.