Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
Do we really need to get a screen protector shield for the new 3gs iPhone? I mean it already has the antifinger print built into the screen and isn't it made out of glass and I always thought that glass is not easily scratched. What is everyone's comment on this?

jaycebeasley

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
Austin, Texas
Not necessary. It just depends on if you 'need' that extra little bit of protection to put your mind at ease. But it's not worth the extra cost (however little it may be) to me.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
yea it is, if you are not a person who can stand with lots of scratch marks..

I am using a shield (came w/ my case), but I don't know if that's accurate. The iPhone screen isn't known for drawing massive scratches.

larapumkin

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
I am using a shield (came w/ my case), but I don't know if that's accurate. The iPhone screen isn't known for drawing massive scratches.

well im not with new 3GS so not so sure about 3GS but 3G, it was advertised as it would not get scratches easily but my friend who havn got any screen on it he does got hairlines all over. well yea it's not THAT visible but it sometimes buggs when it reflects lights at some point...

Synthetickiller

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009
I put on a switcheasy screen sheild today. The phone originally would stick to my finger a little and now its ironically smooth as glass, go figure.

The oleophobic screen is BS as it smudges like crazy. Entirely marking Bullsh*t. I think screen shields not only provide protection, but also makes it less "sticky."

If you want to protect the screen from impact, this obviously wont' help and looking at something like an otterbox or element case is a better option.

noneother

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2007
I used an invisibleshield on my 2G iphone, my wife did not like it on hers, so we took it off. her screen is perfect.. and trust me, she doesn't take care of anything...

we both love the shield on the back.

I am not putting one on my 3GS screen, I am sure I will be upgrading almost every year anyway...

I also like the way the 3GS screen feels.. very soft.. and wipes clean with my sunglass wipe.

wife hates the 3GS screen, has asked me to put the shield screen cover on.

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I am still torn whether or not to put a protective screen shield or not. And if I did which one is best that makes it not have any kind of orange peel after it is applied. I mean I would want protection if I put one on, but at the same time I want no interference at all with seeing the screen, no cloudy display, no orange peel, no distortion etc... Get what I mean? Is their a brand out there that does that?

In the past I have used Invisible Shield but it does have a very slight orange peel effect to it if viewed at a angle when I put it on my iPod Touch.
Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.