Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlmightyG5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
I know this situation could be illegal, but i want to install iLife 06 on my desktop, and my laptop...thats it. Not 5 other computers. Can i just buy the single user and use the same CD to install?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Legally yes you need family licence. Practically wise, no you can install ilife on as many mac's as you own.

As someone who has 5 macs in my household, and I update at least one if not more of those each year (so an average of 2500-5000 Euro per year on apple hardware), I refuse to spend more money when my new hardware comes with the software included... May be wrong, but it's what I do.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Of course the family version is not so much more expensive than the single user one. It will give you a good feeling to buy the correct version. And you can subsidize your favourite computer company. :) With that money, they will develop awesome and breath-taking new products. :D

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
it will not give you a good feeling it will leave you sitting with less money than you started with and kind of upset. In my opinion an ilife update of this size should be free not a 50 dollar purchase, considering it doesnt hold a whole lot of updates, so when and if I decide to buy it I will buy the cheapest version, and split the cost with my sister. Or I might just wait till a significantly different version comes out and then buy that. Really buy a 1200 laptop and it would be nice to have free software updates for atleast a little while.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I just have a problem with it because it lacks complete sense.

They sell you a box of iLife, and you get a CD/DVD in the box which you use to install the software on your computer.

Or you buy the box of iLife for families, and you get the same DVD with the same software on it, possibly a different CD label printed on top, but now you're allowed to install it on multiple computers? They're packing the same bloody thing into the box, and you get to pay more for it.

I'd just install it on more than one computer. You're not pirating the software off the net or something, and you're not installing it on all your friends' computers as well, just your desktop and laptop.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I remember the old Microsoft license agreement used to specifically allow you to install the software on your desktop and one laptop computer at the same time, assuming that only one would be used at a time. I don't believe that the Apple license reads the same, but it would be nice if they made it this way.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Abstract said:
I just have a problem with it because it lacks complete sense.
[…]
You buy the box of iLife for families, and you get the same DVD with the same software on it, possibly a different CD label printed on top, but now you're allowed to install it on multiple computers? They're packing the same bloody thing into the box, and you get to pay more for it.

So by that rationale, if you would be commiting the perfect crime, it would cease to be a crime at all. Is that true? :confused:

Ok, ok, you can throw stones at me. I ain't saying I'm without sin.

But in my opinion it's ok for Apple to give you the choice without threatening you with a possible punishment.

(Hope you understand my poor English)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Actually, as long as you only use one copy at a time (i.e. you're the only one using each computer, which means you're the only one using it) then you can install it on both computers by most EULA's. I don't know for sure about Apple's, but I believe it would be legal.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.