Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eb6

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I have an external HD for backing up which is great in case my computer spazzes out, but what if my house catches on fire or I am robbed?

Any suggestions on ways to "secure" (ie fireproof, hide, lockup) your storage?

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
I have an external HD for backing up which is great in case my computer spazzes out, but what if my house catches on fire or I am robbed?

Keep your most important documents on a portable HD, and place it in a allsituationproof-safe.

Make sure you keep it updated! ;)

I'm serious.

David

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
well if you're concerned about getting robbed or your house burning down, get a locking fire box/fireproof safe. hiding it wouldn't protect from any of those things.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Get two identical external hds, keep one at home and the other in a bank safe deposit box, at you parent's, in-laws, at work or wherever, and the other one at home, every time you take your regular backups, switch the two externals, take the freshly made with you to "the other location" and the old one home.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

About a month ago I had a nightmare about this very scenario! I burned some DVDs and put them in the trunk of my car just so I have an off-site back-up

oh, well I do put a number of files up on my idisk too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.