Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dfine1966

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
If your watch is already charged at night, do you leave your watch on our do you shut it off? I have HiRise for Apple Watch but it will charge all night if left on it. I was wondering what everyone else does at night especially if it is already charged. I was thinking of shutting it off and putting it in the case that it came in for storage at night. I just got my new 42mm Apple Watch SS with Black Leather Loop band. So I am not sure what to do.

omgitscro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
If your watch is already charged at night, do you leave your watch on our do you shut it off? I have HiRise for Apple Watch but it will charge all night if left on it. I was wondering what everyone else does at night especially if it is already charged. I was thinking of shutting it off and putting it in the case that it came in for storage at night. I just got my new 42mm Apple Watch SS with Black Leather Loop band. So I am not sure what to do.

It isn't a detriment to any Li-Ion/Po battery made in the last decade to keep it on the charger overnight, even if it's already topped off.

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
How to you switch it off? I don't think there is any dedicated power off button on it.
Mine have never gone below 20% battery, never mind switched off.

Hold down the 'friends' button and three 'slide to' options appear, including 'power off'.

sb22

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
I never leave my chargers on overnight, it worries me :p I charge both in the morning when im getting ready for work

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks, didn't know that. It's good to know, even though I don't think I will use it.

It includes power reserve and screen lock options. I have found the latter very useful when the watch is exposed to moisture, since the screen can interpret the latter as touch input.

roddenshaw

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
It amazes me that people still think that leaving on the charger will harm your battery. I do not think this will ever go away.;)

Probably not. Most of the people I know do not differentiate between battery types, and so learned 'wisdom' regarding the care of batteries is applied to all types.

It's the same in other fields. I know people who change the fully synthetic oil in their cars far more regularly than is required or beneficial, yet ignore things like changing their coolant. They don't know any better.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Probably not. Most of the people I know do not differentiate between battery types, and so learned 'wisdom' regarding the care of batteries is applied to all types.

It's the same in other fields. I know people who change the fully synthetic oil in their cars far more regularly than is required or beneficial, yet ignore things like changing their coolant. They don't know any better.

It is good that the hardware pretty well takes care of itself. But when I hear of someone setting an alarm to wake up to unplug their phone so it does not over charge . . . . . . ;)

I change my antifreeze every two years but seldom own the same vehicle past that.

Prince Akeem

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
For me everything (including iPhone) simply goes into Airplane Mode at night. So turning off all radios but still have alarm (etc.) functionality.

Subdiv

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2014
Colorado
I will often take my watch off an hour before bedtime and put it on the charger until I go to bed...and shut it off overnight. If the watch stops charging once it's at 100%, I'd love to know why it is often warm after an overnight charge that should have taken only a couple of hours.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Things can be turned off?

I'm not certain, to be honest, if I've ever powered off my iPhone or iPad. I know I've never powered off my watch since receiving it (rebooted, yes. Powered off, no).

I don't even power off my iMac at home, my mini at the office, or my MacBook Air (though with the latter, it's battery has run out while in sleep mode I will admit). Both the iMac and Mac mini are busy doing stuff even when I'm not sitting in front of them (remote access, iTunes server, etc.).

Scott-n-Houston

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2008
Houston (duh)
I like having my watch on when I sleep so I can easily check time, and I like the alarm on my watch better than the loud iPhone alarm.

Lately, I've started charging my watch before bed and putting it on before I sleep. It lasts until the next night where I do it again. Usually, when I got to bed with it at 100% or close, I'll awake with 85-90%. That's plenty for a full day's use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.