Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirtandi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2021
Hi all

I am currently considering buying an AW because of how its marketed as being useful for your health, etc.

Then, I remember many articles saying APP 2nd gen will also focus on health.

Does this mean I am better off waiting for the APP? Personally I have never been a watch-wearing person, and while I acknowledge the AW can be very useful, I personally just do not prefer wearing a watch. Im sure there are others who feel the same.

On the other hand, Ive been waiting to buy an APP, even the 1st gen, but only decided not to because I know the 2nd gen is around the corner.

So, just looking for your opinion, do you think APP 2nd gen will bring in existing health features in AW or perhaps even new health features that will sort of justify not buying AW?

johntw

macrumors regular
May 29, 2016
It definitely won’t offer all the health features of an Apple Watch. IMO, Apple should be focusing on improved comfort, fit, sound quality and battery life before health features. If they think “active” earbuds are important, those should be a separate product.

NastyMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I could see APP having pulse rate and temperature in the future, but not blood oxygen and ECG (or cadence, altitude and gps etc). But remember - the AW is on your wrist most of the time, unlikely your APP would be in your ears all the time.

Plus, the rumours have not been that strong that any health features in APP are imminent where as you can buy an AW today and get those benefits.

Reactions: secretk

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Don't think so, but even if it did, would sensors in your ear be as accurate as those on your wrist? & even those on your wrist aren't said to be that trustworthy?

tazdevl

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
Work in healthcare… actually on some watch sensor/fitness band/hospital monitor IP. No way Jose. It’ll be used for sensor aggregation to triangulate/validate measures from other sources aka Apple Watch.

secretk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2018
I do not own Apple Watch but I have been eyeing for some time. For me APP 2 cannot remove the he need for the watch because my needs are related to the screen of the watch. Basically I want to be able to check navigation directions (for walking) on my watch and not have to hold my phone. I also find the way I can control music (songs, volume) via the APP finicky. Yes, it can be done but I do not find it that efficient. It would still be easier for me to do it via the Apple Watch. Lastly I also think that the earbuds are more restricted in terms of health sensors than the watch. I can see the two devices complementing each other but not replacing each other.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Nah, you‘re not going to wear your AirPods all day or sleep with them on.
This. The Apple Watch is on my wrist all day, but my AirPods are only in my ear for an hour or two at a time, here and there. They could have the best health sensors in the world, but I’m still not going to wear them 24/7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.