Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I know there is a lot of debate about the refreshed app icons in macOS Big Sur. Personally, I really like them. They feel fresh, and with Apple striving for parity across all their operating systems, I like to think they might bring the new look to iOS For consistency across devices. I like to think that maybe Apple is testing the waters with Big Sur to get a feel for people’s reactions. What are your thoughts?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
No chance, I'd like them to release the bug sur public beta though. ?

Come on apple I've been spoiled with iOS 14 public beta, let me have a play with Big Sur public beta.?

christiann

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2020
North America
I know there is a lot of debate about the refreshed app icons in macOS Big Sur. Personally, I really like them. They feel fresh, and with Apple striving for parity across all their operating systems, I like to think they might bring the new look to iOS For consistency across devices. I like to think that maybe Apple is testing the waters with Big Sur to get a feel for people’s reactions. What are your thoughts?

Hate Big Sur :(

• Wow
Reactions: LFC2020

christiann

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2020
North America
Actually don't mind it, nice to see a refreshing change from all the grey depressing colours through out macOS over the last decade. ?
It’s a good idea with all the new notifications and features. But what was apple thinking with the hideous looking icons and HDD icon, or THAT battery logo..

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
Seems strange they want to make macOS and iOS look more consistent yet change the icons so they don't look consistent?

Reactions: pdoherty

christiann

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2020
North America
Seems strange they want to make macOS and iOS look more consistent yet change the icons so they don't look consistent?

To be honest, the icons do look irrelevant. If this were 2014, this could totally look like a OS X Yosemite public beta, if that were the design.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I can’t stand all the icons and logos. It looks weird. The rounded square apps, the weird app icons, the battery logo, it’s iOS mixed with OS X.

i totally get that. but isn't the functionality of an OS more important than the icons? just hard to grasp why ppl worry about this, over how well an OS supports the apps we use, the things we need to get done...

Reactions: retinaimac

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
It’s a good idea with all the new notifications and features. But what was apple thinking with the hideous looking icons and HDD icon, or THAT battery logo..

Pretty sure they'll fix up them icons like they’ve done in previous releases, still a lot of betas to go. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
No, but if they go down well, I could imagine many of the design ideas moving over to iOS next year & a distinctive break with the flat design that’s been iterated on since 2013 on iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.