Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Do you think apple will make a pda?

Originally posted by jamka
what do you think? could the ipod evolve into one?

definitely, but it has to be done without eyelikeart knowing about it:p

lungaretta

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2002
So Here's a New Angle I've Not Seen Mentioned on Any Forum...

Rather than apple taking the risky route of hardware development and all that entails, i understand that darwin and OSX are very portable architectures.

My suggestion would be to build an OSX lite for existing hardware.

We all have our Palms (or dare i say some of you may even have your iPaqs or somesuch nonesense!) already and i for one don't relish the thought of another £450 (this side of the pond) outlay for another PDA - Even though this one may be the superior Apple produce.

With an OSX lite install on my current hardware, i would have the best of both worlds. Smaller outlay for the new OS and COMPLETE compatibility with my laptop. Apple would have a lot less riskier investment as they would be working on software and not need the usual fabrication overheads that hardware brings.

It may not be the bells and whistles that some have said, and i agree, an Apple PDA would be lovely (esp. with bluetooth headset for phone functionality) but i can't see that happening in the currently saturated PDA market place. So my upgrade current hardware idea is the equivilent of using wintel hardware for Linux or Darwin x86.

Just a thought of a long time reader/first time poster.
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.