Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Google eventually phase out Exchange-Gmail support for older registered devices?

• yes

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • no

Votes: 12 42.9%

• Total voters

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Just wondering, what are your thoughts on the matter?

I know for new devices, you can't do exchange-gmail, hence losing push ability. You can do CarDAV or whatever it's called but it isn't push email, just contacts iirc.

If they keep support for it, that will be one extra benefit of staying with my iPad3 and iPhone 5 in addition to them both having great screens and operating quite well with hiccup after a series of exchanges (returned an iPad4 for image retention, noticeably weaker dark scene detail, dynamic contrast, and lack of Exchange-Gmail since I bought it late in the game) and that is assuming the next wave of device get jailbreak treatment.

Anyways.. enough rambling: yes or no in your estimation?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

I know for new devices, you can't do exchange-gmail, hence losing push ability. You can do CarDAV or whatever it's called but it isn't push email, just contacts iirc.

If they keep support for it, that will be one extra benefit of staying with my iPad3 and iPhone 5 in addition to them both having great screens and operating quite well with hiccup after a series of exchanges (returned an iPad4 for image retention, noticeably weaker dark scene detail, dynamic contrast, and lack of Exchange-Gmail since I bought it late in the game) and that is assuming the next wave of device get jailbreak treatment.

protip:
You should consider doing some nominal research on a topic before you post. This would help keep you from coming across as an ignorant fool. You might encourage more appropriate responses.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Just my guess, but I bet they don't kill it for the remaining, grandfathered iOS devices. If I was Google I would just figure every last one of those devices will be dead and in a landfill in two or three years anyway, so why engender more ill will.

protip:
You should consider doing some nominal research on a topic before you post. This would help keep you from coming across as an ignorant fool. You might encourage more appropriate responses.

Really? The guy left the little d out of CardDAV and you call him ignorant. I think your post says more about you than him.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Just my guess, but I bet they don't kill it for the remaining, grandfathered iOS devices. If I was Google I would just figure every last one of those devices will be dead and in a landfill in two or three years anyway, so why engender more ill will.

True, good point.

Wow, the poll is literally split right down the middle 50-50.

I could see it playing out either way as well.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Well, makes me feel a little better about being on mailbox if I do upgrade to a 5s later this year. Or at least until Google decides to bar them too. :p

oomek

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2013
I moved to outlook.com without any regrets so far. All in sync, contacts, calendar, email. Gmail redirected to Outlook. Push working like a charm.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Really? The guy left the little d out of CardDAV and you call him ignorant. I think your post says more about you than him.

There's more wrong with the bit I highlighted than a mere 'd'.

CardDAV doesn't Push. Fetch only. Not related to EMail. More accurate, two-way, syncing of more email fields and custom fields that Siri uses to establish relationships.

For EMail, IMAP is also Fetch only, but grants you editable drafts which were missing from Exchange-emulation.

Still missing Calendars? use CalDAV. Probably won't have all the bugs their Exchange-emulation had with invites and accepting them.

You gain more NOT using exchange sync.

Last edited:

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I believe I read around the time that they announced dropping support for the exchange activesync they said that the grandfathered devices would work until December 2014 at which point everything would be turned off that wasn't on a qualifying Google Apps account. I can't remember where I read it though so I can't provide a source.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

What would anyone's "estimation" (no matter how well "educated" it might end up being) really do? It's completely up to Google, and even they probably don't really know what they might end up doing and when--and even if they do have an idea or even a plan, it might very well still change. So, realistically, it doesn't do any good to guess one way or another.

The only thing to really understand with all of this is that when you are using a free service (and sometimes even a paid service) pretty much anything about it can change at any time, usually with some warning, but sometimes even without that. Unfortunately that's just reality.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
What does any thread really matter if we're gonna get philosophical with it? Nothing you pointed out is new to me.

Just curious what peoples opinions are, no more no less.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What does any thread really matter if we're gonna get philosophical with it? Nothing you pointed out is new to me.

Just curious what peoples opinions are, no more no less.
Would the opinions of something that isn't really subjective be actually of some use/help? I certainly understand seeking opinions, but when it comes to something where opinions simply don't really play a role in, are they useful in some way?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Would the opinions of something that isn't really subjective be actually of some use/help? I certainly understand seeking opinions, but when it comes to something where opinions simply don't really play a role in, are they useful in some way?

OP's title was pretty clear in saying "Do you think...". It is called having a conversation. It is not like OP concealed the thread content by tricking anybody with the title. If you don't want to participate in the conversation, just skip the thread.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I think Google have made their intentions clear, they want you to use their app or (preferably) an Android phone, they want the iOS experience to be inferior to Android, they don't want to be paying for anyone to be enjoying free push email without benefitting from the full Google "experience" (ie without having to go near their ads). At some point they will switch it off for everyone.

They're banking of course on your dependency; your inability to break the gmail habit, and therefore the certainty with which you will move to their app/an Android phone in order to keep your precious gmail address alive. Switch now to iCloud and let them go **** themselves, that's what I did.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I've also just migrated my data off Google to Outlook after getting fed up with the roadblocks. Would've gone iCloud but pretty much every platform out there supports Exchange ActiveSync which isn't true for iCloud. Hence it was a no-brainer.

Its my data and i sure as heck won't be forced to buy an Android device to access it. Only thing tying me with Google now is IMAP Gmail. Google likes to spout open access this and open access that yet are increasingly becoming more proprietary every year. XMPP support gone. RSS and CALDAV API soon to follow suit. Its increasingly becoming Google's way or the highway.

Last edited:

RichP74

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
I'm saying "yes", because they actually did on my iPhone. I'd been using gmail on activesync for years, and suddenly it just shut off a month or so ago. As noted in another thread, I just moved everything over to outlook.com and have my gmail forwarding to my new address.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Moved to Outlook.com since my phone had to be swapped and I ended up losing push ability. I receive over 250 gmail emails a day so moving isn't easy but am slowly pushing things to Outlook. Mailbox app and gmail app are certainly helpful but I like built in support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.