Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I have El Capitan installed on a separate partition right now(30GB) and I only use my laptop for school. Pages, Safari, Opera, Messages, iTunes, Shazam and syncing.

Do you think for that sort of usage that I can just go ahead and install El Capitan on my main partition? If yes, should I start fresh and then install it or "dirty install"?

I of course have Time machine back ups.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Oh and I have Caffeine, Breakaway, Jumpcut and Spectacle running. Although I think with the new split screen feature, Spectacle won't be necessary.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Why do you have Caffeine installed? It's natively worked into OSX.

Anyway, I'm running it just fine on my main machine. Crashes are occasional but expected.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Why do you have Caffeine installed? It's natively worked into OSX.

Anyway, I'm running it just fine on my main machine. Crashes are occasional but expected.
Any specific app crashes or the whole machine in general?I have Caffeine installed so I can quickly toggle between forcing the screen to stay on or not without having to keep on going to the system preferences again and again.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Thanks, just gonna wait for this back up to finish and get a couple of other people's opinions.

ArmPol

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
UK
I have a rMBP 2015 13" and am using El Capitan on my main partition without problem. I use Office Preview 2016, with a few minor niggles. Everything else works flawlessly, Safari is fast, all native apps are without problem and I have only had one lock-up.

I did not do a clean install, but will when DP 2 is out.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I have a rMBP 2015 13" and am using El Capitan on my main partition without problem. I use Office Preview 2016, with a few minor niggles. Everything else works flawlessly, Safari is fast, all native apps are without problem and I have only had one lock-up.

I did not do a clean install, but will when DP 2 is out.
Alrighty, thanks. Installing now.

danielceleste

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2012
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I've had DP1 installed on my 2013 rMBP for about a week now, and did a "dirty" install (i.e. an ordinary upgrade). The reason for me installing it was because I was getting sick of the poor performance of Yosemite, and I was hesitant at first because I try to avoid betas if I can because I like things to be reliable.

With El Capitan, the only issue I've encountered so far is that, after upgrading, my iCloud & Apple ID setup were wonky, so I had to sign out and back in again and re-enable things like iMessage and FaceTime. Besides that, though, surprisingly no issues besides Spotify acting up a bit, so I've been using the web player. I think the fact that I don't use many fancy apps may have something to do with it. Even as a beta 1, El Cap feels like what the GM of Yosemite should have been as far as stability and smoothness of the UI go.

For context, here's a picture of what's in my Dock, to illustrate the apps I mostly stick to.

164yz+

HOWEVER, if you are a student as you've stated, I would recommend staying away from any beta period if you're using your Mac to take notes or do anything else during class. You need to be sure that Evernote, or whatever you're using, isn't going to crash during that time. I'm a student as well, but am on summer break right now, so that's why I'm being a bit adventurous.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
DP1 has many annoying bugs and problems, but I found it quite usable as a main OS. Just a bit annoying to work around the incompatibilities. The most serious bug by far is inability to connect to certain WPA2 enterprise networks.

All in all, I don't see much reason to use it at this point except if you are a dev and want to play around with new tech.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I am a person who is usually fine with running beta versions, plus I'm hyped for El Capitan.

That said, I had a ton of annoying bugs to the point that I had to revert to Yosemite.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
I'm going to play devil's advocate here. I've had DP1 installed on my 2013 rMBP for about a week now, and did a "dirty" install (i.e. an ordinary upgrade). The reason for me installing it was because I was getting sick of the poor performance of Yosemite, and I was hesitant at first because I try to avoid betas if I can because I like things to be reliable.

With El Capitan, the only issue I've encountered so far is that, after upgrading, my iCloud & Apple ID setup were wonky, so I had to sign out and back in again and re-enable things like iMessage and FaceTime. Besides that, though, surprisingly no issues besides Spotify acting up a bit, so I've been using the web player. I think the fact that I don't use many fancy apps may have something to do with it. Even as a beta 1, El Cap feels like what the GM of Yosemite should have been as far as stability and smoothness of the UI go.

For context, here's a picture of what's in my Dock, to illustrate the apps I mostly stick to.

164yz+

HOWEVER, if you are a student as you've stated, I would recommend staying away from any beta period if you're using your Mac to take notes or do anything else during class. You need to be sure that Evernote, or whatever you're using, isn't going to crash during that time. I'm a student as well, but am on summer break right now, so that's why I'm being a bit adventurous.
I use pages for notes.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
I went back to Yosemite, 10.11 was just too buggy unfortunately, needs a lot more work, I had screen redraw issues (big white blocks), Safari not connecting to some sites without a restart, iTunes not seeing iPhone backups that were there and lots of other things . . . Looking forward to giving it another shot further down the line though . . .

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
If you need to access USB devices in Parallels, don't install it yet. Parallels won't connect SD card or USB drive properly yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.