Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nekomichi

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2016
I don't think Apple will ever bring back a standalone dedicated music player product, but that doesn't mean the iPods we already have will all suddenly stop working. They're still great for enjoying music!

Reactions: VirtuallyInsane

Doubleagent2022

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2023
I don't think Apple will ever bring back a standalone dedicated music player product, but that doesn't mean the iPods we already have will all suddenly stop working. They're still great for enjoying music!
The only iPod touch’s you get is the 2nd hand market which sucks .

themacobserver

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2016
Yes, it will be reborn and will accept floppy disks. Apple will equip all future Macs and iPads with a SCSI port for data transfer. Oh, and you will be able to sideload whatever music or game or app you like. I think they will pair it with a Sony headphone. The Pro version however, will come with a built-in printer and stylus.

Reactions: Nekomichi

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Too late, unfortunately. They stopped selling iPods and must have have good reason to.

I recommend a flashed Classic, they even have bluetooth added to them these days.

WU27f1xcCs

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2022
An application like foobar2000 can play mp3s and organise your library on your iPhone if you have a legacy library of music (not advocating for privacy, I’m talking about legitimate music files that you own from the pre-streaming days).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Does someone want to buy a single task product that doesn't do anything better then an a phone?

Don't get me wrong, I loved the iPod and I think having one would be cool, but for me, it would just be sitting on a shelf collecting dust

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Apple will be a very creatively bankrupt company when they release retro-remake products. Sad but true. I do wish they'd remake vintage PowerPC Macs, exactly like the originals but with significant power efficiency based on modern optimisations- but Apple never invests in such things. Steve Jobs killed the idea of an Apple museum.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
The only iPod touch’s you get is the 2nd hand market which sucks .
I know your original post is about a dedicated iPod, and I miss having all my music downloaded and ready to go.

But I also wish the iPod touch were still a thing. We got my daughter one just before it was discontinued. It’s the perfect device for her. Won’t be long until my son wants one.

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Any iPod listed as Vintage or newer can get service from Apple (battery etc.) as needed.

Vintage:
  • iPod nano (7th generation, Mid 2015)
  • iPod shuffle (4th generation, Mid 2015)
  • iPod touch (4th generation)

All other iPods have service available in the aftermarket. There's also a cottage industry of techs who take the Classic and update it with an SSD with greater capacity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.