Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmoraski

macrumors member
May 27, 2020
Well for now my 5.1 mid 2012 is rocking what i need. Video conversion, ( vhs,hi 8 old family videos etc to digital ) and my entire music collection. Also rocking just Garage band for my guitar playing. Most important being picture and picture backup etc.When Apple went with the Trashcan i built my Hackintosh. I still have my 17" imac core duo that ran osX and win xp. Im guessing the 7.1 will exist for a long time. That may well be my next upgrade. lol

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
Because I don't. The Mac Studio has obviously cannibalized it and will likely only do so more and more in the future.

I agree, I bet as time goes, the Studio will continue to chew it piece by piece until it's totally worthless (I mean, the 8,1 is pretty close to being worthless now).

HOWEVER, this is only true under the existing Management at Apple....

If Tim resigns, and we get a surprise CEO that is NOT from the current lineup, then there is potential for change, but the chances of that happening are most likely slim-to-none, and they will likely try to put Federighi as successor or some other internal clown :rolleyes:

Thumbs up for a good thread, OP! I am tuned in to see the remaining responses

prefuse07

Suspended
Jan 27, 2020
San Francisco, CA
At least the 7,1 will still be supported for quite some time:

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 8.15.00 PM.png

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
I expect a 2033 Mac Pro M8 Ultra 0.5nm (A5) with at minimum PCIe 7.0 slots.

It would be able to edit multiple streams of 16K HDR.

Anyone want to guess what is the max unified memory by then? It will likely be more than 1.5TB.

USB-A will finally be phased out on its 3rd decade anniversary

Launch of Thunderbolt 5 160Gbps that still uses USB-C form factor as it is 18yo by then

Two 1,000Gbps Ethernet ports when 10Gbps fiber internet is about $50/month

I do not know what other I/O would be in store... anyone want to take a stab?

SD Express slot

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ZombiePhysicist

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
May 22, 2014
I expect a 2033 Mac Pro M8 Ultra 0.5nm (A5) with at minimum PCIe 7.0 slots.

It would be able to edit multiple streams of 16K HDR.

Anyone want to guess what is the max unified memory by then?

USB-A will finally be phased out.

Two 100Gb Ethernet ports.

I do not know what other I/O would be in store

You can get 400Gb ethernet ports now (granted using fiber). CAT8 maxes out at around 40Gb.

Reactions: Longplays

blackquartz

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2009
I saw this tweet the other day, Trust me, Im all about GPU, CPU and RAM expansion, but how crazy it would be if really VR took over in 10 years.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 19.15.03.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 19.15.03.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: bmoraski

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
I don’t think it exists today. No GPUs means it’s not a real Mac Pro.
Starting with Windows 11 on ARM laptops that was launched at the end of 2023 by Qualcomm's NUVIA division and other Android SoC brands.

x86 is whittled down to a legacy-only niche because their business model that does not ship more than a quarter billion PCs yearly cannot compete with Android SoC brands that ship more than a billion smartphone annually.

As such dGPUs became less popular in the PC industry due to its expense and complications. Lower economies of scale means higher dGPU prices.

x86 and accompanying hardware does not disappear. They have a niche similar to mainframes catering to legacy code. This results in longer refresh cycles of their chips.

This is likely the scenario by 2033 as consumers prefer more advanced ARM PC laptops and desktops that leverage the economies of scale of more than a billion Android smartphones annually. These are likely missing PCie slots and only have I/O relevant to their lives.

PCIe slots then do not get subsidized by unwilling buyers thus reducing e-waste.

Carbon waste from transporting empty cases with slots that will never be used will be reduced to actual users.

Last edited:

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Because I don't. The Mac Studio has obviously cannibalized it and will likely only do so more and more in the future.
I think both will be gone and Apple may not make computers anymore.

They failed with the 8,1.

I cannot see real GPUs going anywhere though, they will still be needed by computer gamers and they will obviously also be able to do double duty for professionals as we see now with people using Nvidia 4090 or Radeon 6900 XT in Macs running either Windows (nvidia card) or MacOS.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
I think both will be gone and Apple may not make computers anymore.

They failed with the 8,1.
It is possible. Apple's Vision Pro is supposed to obsolete almost all consumer electronics.

Right now Intel/AMD/Nvidia are taking note how Apple's workstation with identical SoC and with and without PCIe slots released on the same day will perform.

Based on the result it may induce those three to create workstation SoC and logicboards with and without PCIe slots.

If what Apple experiences mirrors with x86 then expect worldwide PCIe slots to go up in price while those without go down in price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.