Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2013
Or do you think it'll be an Air 3, then the following year a Pro 2.

Or Air 3 and Pro 2 simultaneously?

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I think they are going to go to a two year cycle for iPad's except for the mini. I think we will see iPad Air 3 next year, then a new iPad mini, but we won't see the iPad Pro 2 until 2017.

Reactions: Apple2007

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I also think the iPad mini will be refreshed every year since it is the most popular model. The mini may not always have the latest specs but it seems they will refresh it every year for the holidays.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I don't think the releases will be simultaneous however I do think that both will be updated sometime next year. The pro is too new for it to go two years, and it will be time for the iPad Air 2 to be updated at sometime next year as well.
So both, yes. When? Well, this is Apple. Who knows?
I disagree about the Mini. They made me wait two years this time from the 2 to the 4 because you can't count the 3 as an upgrade. It wasn't.
Then all 3 of them will be on 2 year cycles. I mean, they make the most money with e iPhone and they will continue to favor it being upgraded yearly.
Just my 2 cents.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
My guess is we will see an IPP 2 next year. Tim described it as the premier iPad, and it would be weird to have 3D touch in the Air 3 but not the Pro.

My guess is we will see both updated in October, following a major update to iOS to support 3D touch another os/app changes to take advantage of the larger screens. (Or so I hope and pray.)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
My guess is we will see an IPP 2 next year. Tim described it as the premier iPad, and it would be weird to have 3D touch in the Air 3 but not the Pro.

My guess is we will see both updated in October, following a major update to iOS to support 3D touch another os/app changes to take advantage of the larger screens. (Or so I hope and pray.)

tvOS
WatchOS

And now...

PadOS?

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012

I don't think the iPP will get 3D Touch. It adds significant weight to the display stack, which in the iPP case would be a big mistake for ergonomics. The weight must stay the same or decrease, so you have to choose between 3D touch and battery and for the iPP I don't see a huge value from 3D touch. Kind of redundant with the Pencil anyway.

The API currently seems to agree, because the UITouch data value for force is shared between the Pencil and 3D touch. Unless they're changing this, it implies that devices in the near future will get either Pencil OR 3D Touch (and I would guess Pencil for the Air 3).

Reactions: 88Keys

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple seems to be on a 2 year cycle with iPad upgrades. I don't expect 3D Touch on the iPad anytime soon. It adds a lot of weight and is much more difficult on a larger screen. I think the iPad Air 3 gets an A9 or A10 and Pencil support, and The mini and Pro are unchanged.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

I agree on the iPP. It's a Gen 1 device. From both technical and marketing perspectives there's a lot of reason for Apple to update it at the 12-month mark this time, regardless of whether iPads in general are (or aren't) going onto a 24-month update cycle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.