Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deep_learned_mistake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
All I wanted for christmas was a 12inch m1 or m2 macbook but it obviously hasn’t happened. Does anybody know if the form factor is dead and if so, what the reasoning is?

Cheers

nicetriangles

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2021
Seattle / Amsterdam
If they made one of those ultra slim macbooks with a silicon processor and the battery life was solid and it performed decently I would very strongly consider one for a travel machine. That form factor was soooo nice looking and super portable.

I'm ultra excited about the 16in I have on order but it's a decent size and very expensive and I dunno how often I wanna fly with something like that.

Deep_learned_mistake

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
If they made one of those ultra slim macbooks with a silicon processor and the battery life was solid and it performed decently I would very strongly consider one for a travel machine. That form factor was soooo nice looking and super portable.

I'm ultra excited about the 16in I have on order but it's a decent size and very expensive and I dunno how often I wanna fly with something like that.
The screen was something else too. Absolutely beautiful unit.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
No, netbooks/subnotebooks are dead.

They existed during a time when tablets weren't powerful enough and powerful notebooks were too heavy. Today, you can choose an 11-inch iPad Pro or 13-inch MacBook Air.

Last edited:
Reactions: Realityck

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I would expect the new 2022 M2-powered MacBook Air to be the actual MacBook, hopefully they drop the "Air" suffix.
I agree. I expect the redesigned M2 13in to be called just Macbook, to start $1200-1300, to be half way between the 12in Macbook and the current Air thanks to thin bezels all around and to weight under 2.2/2.3 pounds, hopefully even less. With great battery life, mini led, an M2 SOC based on A15 with the same cores as M1 but more GPU cores and support for 2 external monitors (with 2 TB4 ports and MagSafe). Possibly a binned version of the GPU at the base price.
I don't expect it to replace the M1 air, but to add to the line.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
No, netbooks/subnotebooks are dead.

They existed during a time when tablets weren't powerful enough and powerful notebooks were too heavy. Today, you can choose an 11-inch iPad Pro or 13-inch MacBook Air.

The iPad Air with a Bluetooth keyboard / mouse or a smartcover is the ultimate apple netbook (more elegant, great display, tons of apps, very good speakers, incredible wifi)

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
I would expect the new 2022 M2-powered MacBook Air to be the actual MacBook, hopefully they drop the "Air" suffix.

Agreed.

Apple will remodel a la 24” iMac and labeled it just MacBook. The big question is pricing and RAM options.

Will they keep it at $999 ?

The base will be 8Gb but what will be the max config RAM ? 16 or 32 Gb ?

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Yep, no more MBA or 13" MBP.

Roll them both into a 12" MacBook and 14" MacBook, with M2 processor.

So much sense.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It's almost like some people ignore what's happening in the real world.

Tim Cook literally said today Apple set an all-time revenue record for Mac and it was driven by the strong demand for MacBook Air.

Is Apple likely going to mess with that formula? Increase price by 20-30%, remove Air from the name, make it a 14-inch, or do something similarly stupid? Probably not.

Reactions: wyrdness

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Is Apple likely going to mess with that formula? Increase price by 20-30%, remove Air from the name, make it a 14-inch, or do something similarly stupid? Probably not.
Apple messes with "the formula" ALL THE TIME. Touch-bars, notches, thinner/thicker, removing/adding ports, etc.

Price increase is speculation, no reason why they would.

"Air" is superfluous, as there is no "MacBook". If it's the same computer, what's the difference?

Why not put a 14" screen in a similar size chassis as the current 13"? Hardly without precedent from Apple, considering the 14" and 16" screens didn't exist just a few years ago. MBP sales didn't collapse when the 15" disappeared.

The MacBook line is currently fragmented. It could do with a clean at the lower end.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple messes with "the formula" ALL THE TIME. Touch-bars, notches, thinner/thicker, removing/adding ports, etc.

Price increase is speculation, no reason why they would.

"Air" is superfluous, as there is no "MacBook". If it's the same computer, what's the difference?

Why not put a 14" screen in a similar size chassis as the current 13"? Hardly without precedent from Apple, considering the 14" and 16" screens didn't exist just a few years ago. MBP sales didn't collapse when the 15" disappeared.

The MacBook line is currently fragmented. It could do with a clean at the lower end.

They mess with the formula on the high end products, not on their entry level or mainstream products.

The MacBook Air remains Apple's lightest mainstream notebook, similar to iPad Air. With a 14-inch display, what would differentiate the Air from the Pro? 100 nits of brightness? We already know the Air will have mini LED. And the $999 price tag clearly works, so I see no possibility of a 14-inch display.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
They mess with the formula on the high end products, not on their entry level or mainstream products.

The MacBook Air remains Apple's lightest mainstream notebook, similar to iPad Air. With a 14-inch display, what would differentiate the Air from the Pro? 100 nits of brightness? We already know the Air will have mini LED. And the $999 price tag clearly works, so I see no possibility of a 14-inch display.
Then I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

- 12" and 14" MacBook powered by M2, starting at US$999
- 14" and 16" MacBook Pro powered by M2 Pro/Max starting at US$1999
makes sense to me.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
It's almost like some people ignore what's happening in the real world.

Tim Cook literally said today Apple set an all-time revenue record for Mac and it was driven by the strong demand for MacBook Air.

Just like they did with the 12in Macbook, this won't replace the air, will simply add to the line as a more compact laptop at a higher price point (the 12in was $1300, this one might be a bit less) to pay for the redesign and mini-led (don't expect $1000 for mini-led, not even the iPad pro did that). My guess is that the binned version of the M2 will be closer in price to the air ($1100 minimum, or $1200) but still higher, with the normal one with more GPU being more expensive ($1300 and up).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.