Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haust

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2011
So, you’re going to carry the iPad mini and a cellular watch in place of a phone? Interesting. It’s not a cost savings but does give you the watch and device with a larger display. I sort of do this. My iPad mini says on a bracket in the car and works as my phone device in the car. I take it with me in places I park but otherwise my phone is with me as my phone device. I can see how that would work but wonder if it’s really going to work long term.
My eyes aren’t what they us$d to be and I can’t easily read an IPhone without glasses. I can read my iPad mini much better without glasses. That’s my primary motivation. Plus not having to carry an iPhone and an iPad mini. Google voice seems to have solved the issue of the missing phone. It works well enough. I do like wearing an Apple Watch. I wish they would make an iPad app for the Watch. I think I’ll get an Apple Watch 8 “pro” cellular. We’ll see.

Reactions: Pezimak

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I’m ready for a new mini. I was excited about my mini 6 until I started scrolling and the jelly still to this day drives be nuts. Other than that, I love it and take it with me pretty much everywhere. If they did nothing but improve the display I would update again. 120Hz or mini LED or maybe OLED whatever they decide. If they moved the controller to the landscape orientation that would work better for me, I use mine primarily in portrait.

Same for me, except i returned mine because of it.
But would instantly buy a new one, if it didn't have this problem.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Just checked the announcement today and didn't see a new iPad Mini. Did I miss anything?
It makes sense to me that there's no new mini today. It's basically just the small version of the Air that's unchanged in the lineup. I'd love if they'd continue down that path with the mini going forward but they never seem to keep their strategy the same for very long with that device.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Meh, that was what the 'updates' was for me. Might be yay för someone else.
I hope for better luck next time around. My Mini have to survive to next yrs 'updates' then.
Unless I will get the new iPad Pro, but I don't really need it, but uhm, we'll see.
Can agree, not much to have an event for - or did I miss something.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010
Meh, that was what the 'updates' was for me. Might be yay för someone else.
I hope for better luck next time around. My Mini have to survive to next yrs 'updates' then.
Unless I will get the new iPad Pro, but I don't really need it, but uhm, we'll see.
Can agree, not much to have an event for - or did I miss something.
I looked at this as a positive. My Apple Watch Series 4 and gen 1 AirPods Pro were both in need of an upgrade, and I always get the new iPhone every year, but that stuff all already got released. I had already bought my mini 6 and 14" MBP earlier this year, so I wouldn't be upgrading those again in the fall anyway. I hope to keep my current lineup other than the iPhone for quite a while.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
I get the impression the iPad Mini 6 has been very popular, I think a new update next year might be in the cards but who knows.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
No jelly fix, no buy. See you again next year, Apple.
100%. The sad thing is I see jelly scroll on the Pro models as well. While not as bad due to the 120hz display, and like the Mini 6, only in portrait. But while I'd use the Pro ipads mainly in landscape thus avoiding jelly scroll, the Mini 6 screams to be used in portrait like a giant iphone - for me anyway.

I really want the Mini 6 to replace my 7 Plus coupled with an SE (PWM sensitive so can't use the OLED iPhones) but I can't tolerate the jelly scroll especially with the price hike in the UK.

I don't think we will see an update for the Mini iPad until 2024 at the earliest and even then I don't see them adding promotion as consumers are buying the current model despite the weak/cheap LCD.

I'm not demanding perfection but Apple used to be known for using quality LCD's and none flickering displays. Now it feels like it's profit over quality.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
I can tolerate the longer wait between updates - just so long as Apple doesn’t overlook the mini entirely.

From my own perspective, my mini 5 feels like the apex of the form factor’s evolution. It’s the perfect size to use in hand when out & about or on the couch, my OG Magic Keyboard (wireless) helps it function as an okay laptop replacement in coffee shops or even at my desk and it got iOS 16, which helps maintain functionality within my own ‘ecosystem’ (the password lock feature on Notes being but one example). Unlike some of the other posters here, I haven’t had any problems/quibbles with the screen either (which is a good reason for me to wait before upgrading whenever)

Reactions: jimmy_uk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.