Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think Watch Series 7 Will Have Glucose Monitoring?

• Total voters

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
And how do you expect that to work ? Your watch stabbing your skin and sanitizing itself ? It’s not feasible IMO as a diabetic myself

tafmasterpl

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
that would be a true miracle, after all the useless things like blood pulse, ECG, blood o2, all useless that would change my life

bricktop_at

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2017
that would be a true miracle, after all the useless things like blood pulse, ECG, blood o2, all useless that would change my life
I'm not a diabetic myself, but I can imagine how massive many people's lives would possibly be changed. Let's hope for the best :)
Not really conviced that this is ready for release in the AW 7 though....

Reactions: YaShiMo

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
And how do you expect that to work ? Your watch stabbing your skin and sanitizing itself ? It’s not feasible IMO as a diabetic myself
I dunno, I'm not the one making the claim.

However I do think that it would be one of the most significant things a health oriented product could get, diabetic or not.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I really don't see how it can be medically reliable without having a sensor directly under the skin. That's how the Dexcom G6 does it, seems if they could of made it work by just touching your skin they would of done it..

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I really don't see how it can be medically reliable without having a sensor directly under the skin. That's how the Dexcom G6 does it, seems if they could of made it work by just touching your skin they would of done it..
Well, Samsung devices can do blood pressure, and we have oxygen, so perhaps there's a possibility of some type of optical sensor at a reduced accuracy level. Even those home blood tests aren't super accurate vs. a blood test, but if it can give you a reasonable idea, that's already very useful. E.g. if someone's blood sugar is consistently over 7 mmol/L, it warns you that you may be pre-diabetic.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It it happens, I'd get one. I know I have glucose and sugar issues due to unhealthy eating habits combined with genetics. If I could get something that could help me monitor it, I'd be all for that.

Are Apple Watches able to be purchased with HSA money?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
It it happens, I'd get one. I know I have glucose and sugar issues due to unhealthy eating habits combined with genetics. If I could get something that could help me monitor it, I'd be all for that.

Are Apple Watches able to be purchased with HSA money?
The only article on the subject I could find is from 2018. At that time, you aren't allowed to as the Apple Watch isn't deemed a medical device by the IRS..

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I think they can probably put something out there that reads whatever through it's optical sensors with other data it collects to estimate the glucose level, but I don't think it's anything exact and they sure as hell probably will have warnings that it is not a medical device and don't rely on it.

OldRhodie

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2012
Belfast
I’m Type 2, so it will be a compelling reason to upgrade. I know a number of diabetics who’d buy an AW for the first time.

OldRhodie

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2012
Belfast
Well, Samsung devices can do blood pressure, and we have oxygen, so perhaps there's a possibility of some type of optical sensor at a reduced accuracy level. Even those home blood tests aren't super accurate vs. a blood test, but if it can give you a reasonable idea, that's already very useful. E.g. if someone's blood sugar is consistently over 7 mmol/L, it warns you that you may be pre-diabetic.
Yes, a finger prick is pretty much an approximation, so one aims for a broad range and often it’s the trend that’s a warning.

ZachApple

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2019
This would be great in a watch. However, I cannot see it replacing finger sticks for treatment decisions. Even FDA approved continuous glucose monitors require finger sticks occasionally when they are "unsure".

For context though, blood glucose meters can be far from exact. Between meter brands the same finger can show 30 mg/dl difference (considering less than 70 is generally considered low and 100 is generally considered good, 30 points makes quite a difference!).

Overall, even if an Apple Watch sensor could only give general trend info (glucose rising or falling quickly) it would still be a game changer.

I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice. Siri, Alexa, and Google are not doctors either (thankfully!).

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
While I believe that at some point non-invasive sensors will become reality, I don’t see it happening in AW7.
Besides, it would make the AW a true medical device and I doubt Apple will do that for the watch. When the time comes, they will release it as a “special edition” for at least double the price, and it will be worth it for those who need it, but it will never come to the standard watch like eg ECG…

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Really? I see ecg as a way more niche feature than glucose
I suppose you were responding to my post ... ECG functionality is achieved with the same sensor that measures your heart rate, no special HW needed, just SW ... glucose, non-invasive, requires a new sensor, or maybe even more, I do not know ... therefor it will increase the cot of the watch, plus, if you amuse a 3 year life for the AW, 3 years of diabetic supplies cots you hundreds of $s, something like a Decom much more - why would Apple leave that money on the street? That's why when/if it will be a "special edition" demanding a significant hike in price.

ZachApple

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2019
ECG functionality is achieved with the same sensor that measures your heart rate, no special HW needed
There is special hardware for the ECG. An ECG measures the actual electrical signals from the heart, which requires a conductive circuit. Series 4 added metal contact points on the crown and back of the watch for this.

Series 3 and below only has an optical sensor, which measures heart rate by watching for pulses of blood as it circulates.

I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice. Siri, Alexa, and Google are not doctors either (thankfully!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.