Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipaddaro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2014
All the tests we see in Geekbench 6 are about 10 core M4 version, that makes me think that all early reviewers have been given 1 or 2 TB iPads pro…

What do you think? In any case we are not going to wait much longer since the release date is quite close…

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
I doubt one core, especially on an iPad with iPadOS, is going to make much difference.
While I agree that if you handed me two iPad Pros, one with three performance cores and the other with four, I probably wouldn't be able to tell which was which in normal typical usage, it's still affecting my purchase decision in a consumer psychology kind of way. Logical or not, knowing that the lower storage level iPad Pros have less CPU power makes it less likely for me to purchase one.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
While I agree that if you handed me two iPad Pros, one with three performance cores and the other with four, I probably wouldn't be able to tell which was which in normal typical usage, it's still affecting my purchase decision in a consumer psychology kind of way. Logical or not, knowing that the lower storage level iPad Pros have less CPU power makes it less likely for me to purchase one.

I think the additional 8GB of premium-grade Apple RAM will make a much more meaningful difference than the extra performance core. If you absolutely want the absolute most performant iPad Pro money can buy, you don't need to wait for the reviews.

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
I think the additional 8GB of premium-grade Apple RAM will make a much more meaningful difference than the extra performance core. If you absolutely want the absolute most performant iPad Pro money can buy, you don't need to wait for the reviews.
Even though the RAM difference is probably more impactful, for some reason the hobbled CPU bothers me more. Regardless, I'm a 128gb/256gb (which I guess now would be 256gb/512gb) buyer... I'd have a really hard time justifying spending $1600-$2000 on an iPad.

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
The 1TB option does seem to be popular with early adopters in my region based on delivery times today. Most options are still available for May 15 but 1TB Silver is up to June 6 while 1TB Black is up to June 23. All depends on initial stock levels of course but does sound like 1TB models are selling better than expected.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Even though the RAM difference is probably more impactful, for some reason the hobbled CPU bothers me more.
Why? It doesn't bother me in the least, as M4 9-core is actually equal to or faster than M3. (M4 10-core is roughly 10-15% faster.)

In fact, once I get my iPad Pro, the M4 9-core will make it the fastest computer in my household, and by a large margin. The second fastest is the one I'm typing on right now, an M1 Mac mini, my primary computer for which I use all day, every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.