Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think Windows 10 needs to be "tamed"?

• Yes, it is tentacled beast of telemetry and bloat.

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • No, it's fine as it is.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • It depends. (depends on the hardware and/or use cases)

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

sracer

macrumors G4
Original poster
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I created this poll and thread to focus on discussing the value of "taming" Windows 10 to help avoid having that conversation in the "Let's tame" thread which I hope serves as a resource for those looking for tools to tweak their Windows 10 systems.

I'm interested in hearing what others think. I think it needs taming, but I'm looking to learn from those who think it doesn't.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've shared this video before but it does a great job at communicating and showing the amount of information that is flowing from your computer to other sites. We're not just talking about windows 11 phoning home to the mothership but windows is sending data or accessing 3rd party sites.

Here's two screen grabs from the video, showing a clean install of windows accessing 3rd party sites

2023-02-20_10-24-06.png

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I've shared this video before but it does a great job at communicating and showing the amount of information that is flowing from your computer to other sites. We're not just talking about windows 11 phoning home to the mothership but windows is sending data or accessing 3rd party sites.

Here's two screen grabs from the video, showing a clean install of windows accessing 3rd party sites

View attachment 2161731
Same with OSX/macOS, past Yosemite vast uptick in traffic to Apple's servers and more. Can limit it, but gets old fast as always expanding. If the machine doesn't explicitly need to be on the I web I isolate it problem solved...

Q-6

Reactions: maflynn

Grumpus

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2021
I suspect that much, probably most, of the traffic in that video resulted from bloatware installed by the laptop OEM. Perhaps among the first things you should do when you get a new computer are to backup the device drivers and then reset windows.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
taming is always good - on any OS.
the amount of "bloat" you're installing on your system in the form of "unnecessary" tools to achieve this is debatable though, as much can be done with the native tools

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I suspect that much, probably most, of the traffic in that video resulted from bloatware installed by the laptop OEM.
Since the Yter didn't say which laptop he got (unless I missed it), we can only guess. I think overall most computer makers no longer include much bloat. I think dell and HP are probably the worst offenders.

The intent of the video is to show much a new laptop access not only MS servers but various third party sites and its disturbing. We didn't any McAfee servers and that's one of the worse offenders of bloat so it may be safer to assume that its a fairly bloat free laptop

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.