Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a case on your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 911 66.5%
  • Yes, but will be removing it

Votes: 57 4.2%
  • No

Votes: 307 22.4%
  • No, but will be getting one

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 85 6.2%

• Total voters

ayuchan

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2010
Singapore
Personal experience: I placed my iPhone 14 pro max on my lap when I was on a taxi and a tote bag over it. I totally forgot the iPhone when I alight the taxi and it dropped onto the road. The was a dent on the iPhone silicon case on the top right hand corner of with a minor scuff on the iPhone. Also lucky that I had a screen protector as it would come off worst if my iPhone is completely naked.

i am super careful with my iPhone (no hard drop on iPhone 12 Pro) and always had a case on just for instance like this where sometimes the mind take off and accidental drop happened.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
i am super careful with my iPhone (no hard drop on iPhone 12 Pro) and always had a case on just for instance like this where sometimes the mind take off and accidental drop happened.
Between 2009 and 2022 I have dropped a grand total of two phones hard enough to warrant repair or replacement. One phone was an iPhone 6+. I destroyed the screen. Apple replaced the entire phone for the cost of the screen repair ($150).

The second phone was my iPhone 11 Pro Max, last year. I shattered the rear glass and deeply cracked the screen. I had AC+, so after $99 the phone was replaced.

In both these two instances I was not paying attention because I was sick. But that's two phones in 13 years, neither of which had a case. It does not account for all the other phones I have dropped at various times that took some slight damage, but not enough to warrant a trip to the Apple store. I think that's fairly decent odds.

My first smartphone was an HTC Touch Pro, which is basically a tank. I dropped it once face down on a sidewalk. In bending over to pick it up, I inadvertently kicked it and sent it skittering about 20 feet. Other than some scratching of the plastic screen and a slight chunk of metal taken out of the corner it continued to function.

I had to learn (for myself) that it is better to smudge my entire screen up with fingerprints when gripping it, then it is to lose my grip because I don't want to smudge the screen. Smudges can be cleaned.

After my second drop when sick I made a new rule to myself. If I'm out when sick, my phone stays in my pocket - there is no handling it unless I am sitting down somewhere safe.

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
Between 2009 and 2022 I have dropped a grand total of two phones hard enough to warrant repair or replacement. One phone was an iPhone 6+. I destroyed the screen. Apple replaced the entire phone for the cost of the screen repair ($150).

The second phone was my iPhone 11 Pro Max, last year. I shattered the rear glass and deeply cracked the screen. I had AC+, so after $99 the phone was replaced.

In both these two instances I was not paying attention because I was sick. But that's two phones in 13 years, neither of which had a case. It does not account for all the other phones I have dropped at various times that took some slight damage, but not enough to warrant a trip to the Apple store. I think that's fairly decent odds.

My first smartphone was an HTC Touch Pro, which is basically a tank. I dropped it once face down on a sidewalk. In bending over to pick it up, I inadvertently kicked it and sent it skittering about 20 feet. Other than some scratching of the plastic screen and a slight chunk of metal taken out of the corner it continued to function.

I had to learn (for myself) that it is better to smudge my entire screen up with fingerprints when gripping it, then it is to lose my grip because I don't want to smudge the screen. Smudges can be cleaned.

After my second drop when sick I made a new rule to myself. If I'm out when sick, my phone stays in my pocket - there is no handling it unless I am sitting down somewhere safe.
Not to pick nits, but you mean that after the AC+ cost of $269 plus the $99.00 for a total of $368.00, the phone was replaced. For between $30.00 and $40.00 for a clear case and screen protector I protect my phones, and they are in pristine condition, even with a couple of drops, when it comes time to trade them in. In my estimation, I saved over $300.00 on what you spent to protect your phone, and then got full trade in value also. Hmmm...
Scratch Head.gif

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not to pick nits, but you mean that after the AC+ cost of $269 plus the $99.00 for a total of $368.00, the phone was replaced. For between $30.00 and $40.00 for a clear case and screen protector I protect my phones, and they are in pristine condition, even with a couple of drops, when it comes time to trade them in. In my estimation, I saved over $300.00 on what you spent to protect your phone, and then got full trade in value also. Hmmm... View attachment 2156853
A few things…you understand we are two very different people right? OK.

1. AC+ was $15 a month through my carrier. If you want to count that (obviously you are), that's $240 because I had 16 months in at the time I dropped it. I'm not considering the tax. That's fair to count that - I just usually pay my bill each month and not think about that. After my phone was replaced I ended AC+. Note that this was the first time I'd had AC+ on my phone since 2012-2014 with my iPhone 5. I didn't put it on my account, the salesman crammed it when I bought the phone. At $15 a month it wasn't a big deal, so I left it.

2. If we are going to compare everything I do or have done based solely on the dollars you spend and the dollars I spend, and on what those dollars are spent on - I am going to lose to you every time. So claim your victory, that's fine. I'm not rich, but I don't justify everything in my life based on how much I save or how little I spend. Nor do I care much about that.

3. Please do not assume that the iPhones I have are in terrible condition because I do not use cases. My 6s+ and my 11PM are both in very good condition - and I didn't have to pay for a case. So are the rest of my phones/devices.

4. I understand that a lot of case users actually use cases because they want maximum trade-in value. That includes you. Great 👍 It does NOT include me. I keep my devices. With the exception of ONE phone I have every device I've purchased since 2009 and all of them work. I also have three phones (a 3GS, a 4 and a 4S) that I did not purchase new. I also have my Android Pixel 3a XL which is the phone I was using between the 6s+ and the 11 Pro Max. It also was never used in a case and is in good condition.

So, yeah, there's what I spent versus what I could have spent. It really doesn't matter to me. I just simply refuse to use cases.

Reactions: bondr006

kenni417

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2019
Ontario, Canada
yup. always have since day 1. if you're rocking a 1000 dollar plus phone without a case and without apple care you are just nuts. there's been a few times I've dropped my 14 pro max and it's been saved by a case. hell, the other day i was walking on stone/gravel and my phone slipped out of my pocket and landed on the rear glass. yeah... no "ceramic shield" would've saved that. although i do like the look and feel of the phone without case, better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I've been running naked for a few weeks on my 14 Pro and loving it. I do have AC+ and the device is pretty durable and I have a pretty good track record with phones so I'm confident I'll be fine :) just wait till I edit this tho after I shatter the screen 🤣

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I used to have my iPhones in cases between iPhone 5 to iPhone 7. I decided to use my 7 without a case back in 2017 and I like how it felt in my hands. The curves, the feel of the cold metal and the rawness of the design spoke loud and clear to me. From then on I’ve been using my iPhones without cases.

I’ve had the 8, XR, 11PM, 13, SE3 and my current 13PM all without a case. I bought an AC+ for my 13PM just to cover the unexpected if it occurs.

culo77

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2010
Chicago
I was never a case guy. I don’t use cases in my iPads either. The iPhone 11 I did end up putting a case on it for bit because it is too slippery. I would go back and forth with a skin then case for bit with the 11.

scottrngr

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2015
I have the clear Apple mag-safe case. I dropped my phone, and it took a chunk out of it. I also see it's cracked now. I don't know when that happened.

• Sad

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've been running naked for a few weeks on my 14 Pro and loving it. I do have AC+ and the device is pretty durable and I have a pretty good track record with phones so I'm confident I'll be fine :) just wait till I edit this tho after I shatter the screen 🤣
This is one of the reasons I take my secondary phone (with an active line) out for physical activities instead of my 11 Pro Max. If I drop and damage a 7+ year old iPhone I won't like it, but it's going to hurt much less than doing the same to my primary phone.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
Didn’t use one for a couple years but then dropped my phone and had to have it replaced. The exchange was straight forward but getting all the apps to work again was a pain. Just for that reason I wouldn’t want my phone to break again.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Didn’t use one for a couple years but then dropped my phone and had to have it replaced. The exchange was straight forward but getting all the apps to work again was a pain. Just for that reason I wouldn’t want my phone to break again.
I had my 11 PM replaced in May 2022 because of a drop. My only issue was photos. Everything else came across just fine, mainly because most of my accounts are not Apple.

I knew photos would be a hassle before turning the phone in, so I sprung for Apple's 2TB iCloud to make sure all the photos would be restored. They weren't.

So, I had to dig around in all my backups and drop every last dang photo in to the Photos app so they all got back on the phone. Then I had to set the phone to eliminate duplicates. SMH.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Nobody really cares what your iPhone looks like so displaying it is meaningless. However protecting your iPhone from disaster is more important. At this point in time a case and a screen protector are a necessity not a luxury

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I account for other people by putting my phone away in places where it could get knocked around. I cradle it with my hands in tight spaces. I am aware spatially where my phone is, I set it down on stable and clean surfaces, put something under it if I can't trust the surface. I have designated spots for my phone depending on where I am (desk, car, walking, etc).

All things that using a case means case users don't have to think about. But I think about it - because I don't use a case.

With all those additional worries or things to think about, what are the advantages in your opinion of not having a case on your iPhone? I don’t have to think twice about any of that so I’m curious.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
With all those additional worries or things to think about, what are the advantages in your opinion of not having a case on your iPhone? I don’t have to think twice about any of that so I’m curious.
Well, I'm not always in those situations. Generally, I'm either sitting at my desk (at home) all day, in the car driving, or out at the store or getting takeout.

So the advantage is using my phone without a case. I bought it because I like how it looked (for the most part) without a case.

There are times however, when I have to attend events, we go out and eat, etc and that's where these defenses fully kick in. But for the most part I lead a pretty boring (to others) life that doesn't put my unprotected phone in much danger.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Usually not, but then I saw the Apple Silicone in RED and kinda liked it..
Don't use it all the time but every now and then.

Reactions: stanza.richi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.