Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a screen protector?

• Yes

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 81 60.4%
  • Maybe So

Votes: 7 5.2%

• Total voters

Nezben

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
No screen protector on my iPad 4th gen. Never used one on my iPad 2 either.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I have 1st and 3rd gen and never even thought of putting a screen protector on either devices. Its up to you.

layziegtp

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2009
In all my years of owning iPhones, I've never had scratches on the glass. Maybe they were there but completely invisible in normal use, but it's not worth losing the tactile feel of the bare glass.

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
Never have used one on any of my iPhone's or iPad's. Never scratched the screen either.
The glass seems pretty resistant. I sometimes throw my phone in my pocket with keys or a lighter or whatever else may be in there.. No scratches whatsoever.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Only on my Super Phones & iPad Mini since I can put it in my my pockets.

My 32GB iPad 3 LTE doesn't.

BTW, I do use Cases & Screen Protectors to hold it's value because I haven't kept a single Toy for more than 6 months. My iPhone 5 (Black, 64GB) lasted 17 days.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
My iPhone 5 and my iPad 3 have Glass.T protectors on them. Best of both worlds.

My iPad Mini just has a smart cover right now....

My iPhone 4 was naked and picked up a lot of hairline scratches that were visible under sunlight / overhead light.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Never have used one on any of my iPhone's or iPad's. Never scratched the screen either.
The glass seems pretty resistant. I sometimes throw my phone in my pocket with keys or a lighter or whatever else may be in there.. No scratches whatsoever.

I've never liked this saying but "never say never" unfortunately struck a cord with me. I've never had a scratch on my iPhones or iPads . . . Until now :(
I don't know how it happened as I'm extremely careful with my mobile devices, but it did. I always use cases and sleeves and back covers , everything except screen protectors that is. Anyway, a small scratch appeared on the glass of my iPad 2:(
So, now I'm looking for a reliable, easy-to-apply, no bubbles or residue (when removed) screen protector for my iPad Mini.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me ;)

----------

My friend scratched her entire phone one day with her diamond earrings. The Apple Store gave a free replacement and now she's super careful.

Your friend was lucky. Glad :apple: replaced it :)

----------

Absolutely. My first ipad got a few scratches even though it was never used outside of the apple case. Ipad 2 also got scratched from my Smart Cover. The back of my iPhone 5 is already scratched and it has been in a candyshell since it came out of the box. The glass on these freaking things totally sucks.

Hmmmm, maybe that's how my iPad 2 got scratched. I used a Smart Cover on it at one time but removed it because I didn't like the ridges it left on the screen.

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
I always try screen protectors (in fact one is being delivered today), but ultimately they get too smudged too quick and they become difficult to clean and I always go back to the oleophobic (sp?) glass. Eventually that even wears out, but it's better than a screen protector.

We'll see how today's installation goes later.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
No, I don't use protection.

I like to go bareback. Feels more natural and smoother.

I don't like the feel of the plastic.

felch

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2010
why would you scratch your phone or tablet with diamonds??????

Did you know that some wedding and engagement rings have diamonds in them? It may seem hard to believe but some women wear them, sometimes on multiple fingers aand with those fingers they hold the ipad.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Personally, I've had screen protectors on all my iPhones through time EXCEPT my iPhone 5. I have a case around it with full back, side and rim of the front coverage but left the screen open. I tried multiple times to get a screen protector on without success - always a bubble, thread, loose corner, etc. Plus, I agree it diminishes the overall tactile experience of the gorilla glass screen. It's soooo smooth, whereas screen protectors are definitely plastic.

For the iPad, I use the smart cover when transporting it, otherwise, it's screen is "naked" for the same reasons as above. So far, my iPad 2 has done very well, even with kids playing games on it. I DO have a back shell to protect the aluminum from scratching and also to make it a bit warmer to hold.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Only if I was carrying my ipad4 in my pocket but chances are im not......:cool:

KatanaAzul

macrumors member
May 7, 2010
Yes. PowerSupport AntiGlare.

Never leave home without it. Cant see in the sun and I cant stand fingerprints.

Same here. It makes outside viewing so much better/easier. Essential if you work outside.

Although I like the PowerSupport screen protectors they're way too expensive. I've had just as good luck with cheap ones off of Amazon or eBay (especially the ones from myGear, they were exceptional and cheap).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.