Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
I just bought my its iPad, a 16GB refurb iPad 3 and along withy that I bought a Smart Cover. Just wondering how many of ya use Smart Cover's? And what's your feedback on them.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I bought one with my iPad [3] and used it for a short while. It was ok to protect the screen and all, but I wanted something with better carrying around protection and better ability to prop it up. I use a Targus now and really like it.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I use a combination of incipio smart feather on the back with smart cover in the front on my iPad 3. Has been a great combo.

B

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I use a combination of incipio smart feather on the back with smart cover in the front on my iPad 3. Has been a great combo.

B

I have gone thru about 15 cases including all the lousy, bulky wood frame cases....I keep coming back to the above...it is the best combo for slipping into a briefcase, traveling,for thinness and postions - I simply cannot beat it...for high power single business meetings, I use a spiegen valentinus....the incipio and smartcover a bit too techie for that....

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I use the Smart Cover and a Belkin Snap Shield. I really like it. I have the dark grey cover. If I did it again I'd probably go with black leather.

----------

I just bought my its iPad, a 16GB refurb iPad 3 and along withy that I bought a Smart Cover. Just wondering how many of ya use Smart Cover's? And what's your feedback on them.

What color iPad and cover did you get?

gcrr

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
I use a light grey Smart Cover with a clear Incase Magnetic Snap Case.

ipad3magneticsnapcaseclear01.jpg

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
I use the Smart Cover and a Belkin Snap Shield. I really like it. I have the dark grey cover. If I did it again I'd probably go with black leather.

----------

What color iPad and cover did you get?

I got the dark grey for my black iPad

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I have gone thru about 15 cases including all the lousy, bulky wood frame cases....I keep coming back to the above...it is the best combo for slipping into a briefcase, traveling,for thinness and postions - I simply cannot beat it...for high power single business meetings, I use a spiegen valentinus....the incipio and smartcover a bit too techie for that....

Yup. Same here. Smart cover is quality. I can't stand the smart case. Looks tacky to me. But Apple definitely made a winner with the smart cover. I do hope they make a version of the mini smart cover for the "big iPad" soon. Would be great to do away with the metal strip.

For the back of the iPad, I have the incipio smart feather, too, but I actually don't like the locking mechanism. The beauty of the smart cover is that you can just take it on and off easily. I use a Caudabe back cover instead and it looks great to boot. The good thing is that it also covers the entire iPad. Some of those back covers

I've also tried a ********** skin, which works well for scratches but is useless for drops.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
Yup. Same here. Smart cover is quality. I can't stand the smart case. Looks tacky to me. But Apple definitely made a winner with the smart cover. I do hope they make a version of the mini smart cover for the "big iPad" soon. Would be great to do away with the metal strip.

For the back of the iPad, I have the incipio smart feather, too, but I actually don't like the locking mechanism. The beauty of the smart cover is that you can just take it on and off easily. I use a Caudabe back cover instead and it looks great to boot. The good thing is that it also covers the entire iPad. Some of those back covers

I've also tried a ********** skin, which works well for scratches but is useless for drops.

I like that caudabe cover and it's a great price - I need it to lock on as I jam it in it a briefcase 4 times a day and without the lock the smartcover comes loose....

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Yep! I actually have 4 different colors. I use the Smart Cover + a random clear hard cover for the back that I got on eBay. It locks the Smart Cover into place like the Incipio Smart Feather. I have tried other cases, but I always go back to this combo.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I think I might pick up a Smart Cover around the holidays. I don't have one. But I realize when I travel it's cool to have especially when you need to set the iPad up to view movies.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
I've converted all of our iPads to the Smart Case.

Now, I have a blue, green, and pink Smart Cover that I may sell. I think I will keep my black leather one, though.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
I use it, combined with a soft sleeve which fits the iPad with smart cover as well as the charger and the stylus. This set up works very well for me.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
I used to have that fear of scratching my pad and was almost like the "anal retentive chef" off SNL (google it). I had a case, then a film protector, then a sleeve to put the whole thing in and realized I was going too far - so I settled on a smartcover and clear snap on back. Flitz and a polish rag takes off minor scratches - and I've never scratched the glass yet on 4 pads...

ask yourself if you're going too far...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.