Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hewastl286

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
Do you use different wallpapers on the home display and on the lock screen?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
This is a corker of a thread. Can't wait to read more fascinating replies.

I think you're being sarcastic, but I actually find this interesting. ?

I'm actually weirdly neurotic about my wallpaper. I have an album with over 150 wallpapers which I'm always adding to, and during the course of a day I may cycle through half a dozen wallpapers depending on my mood at any given time.

One of my wallpaper quirks is that I prefer my lockscreen and homescreen to be the same. I've occasionally tried having different images but for some reason it usually doesn't sit well with me. One semi-exception is that I've at times had an image on my homescreen and used a black & white version of the same image on the lockscreen. I like how it gives an impression of the image waking up, so to speak, and gaining colour when I unlock the phone.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
Yep.

I have a picture of my son on my lock screen and my home screen is plain black.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
Yes, a more lively one on the lock screen and a plainer black wallpaper for the home screen so easier to see the apps.

Reactions: hewastl286

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
Black lock screen so it’s easier to see notifications and time. (Also for privacy reasons) Then family picture as home screen.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Yes. My home lock screen on my iPad and iPhone is a Live Photo of my wife laughing. Black wallpaper for my OLED iPhone. A colorful Apple wallpaper for my iPad. My Mac has a thousand plus folder of wallpapers I purchased.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Lock screen on every one of my iPhones is solid black with my contact email address in the bottom corner - in case the iPhone gets lost and someone nice finds it (reward mentioned too). Nothing is visible on the lock screens- all disabled: messages, notifications etc (in case phone gets lost)

Home screens are different

Reactions: brgjoe

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Only if they match. For example, if there are 2 different images that have a similar theme or color scheme, I'll do it. But I don't usually find that often, so usually no.

justkurious

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2018
Mine used to be identical - now they are different...

For me, the lock screen is a singular opportunity where a piece of art may be displayed with *some* semblance of verisimilitude -- a moment -- however brief -- for it to have my attention...

I have adapted "Under the Wave off Kanagawa" by Hokusai for mine. I like making a connection between something created around 1830 with something created in the 21st century... :)

IMG_6590.jpg

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If I have a high-contrast image on the lock screen, sometimes I'll duplicate it and make a low contrast (or lightened or darkened, depending on the image) version for the wallpaper so it's not too distracting. So: "same" image for both but optimized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.