Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use iCloud Private Relay for general web browsing?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Hi all,

Do you use the iCloud Private Relay feature? Have you noticed any browsing performance loss with iCloud Private Relay turned on?
And, does it really give us anonymity when it is turned on?

Thanks!

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
Use it always and I have it set to use my “country and time zone” for location instead of “general location.”

The only perf difference I’ve noticed is if I’m hardwired to my LAN/router, which reduces results on Speedtest from ~1.1Gbps to ~700Mbps. That’s insignificant for my purposes and disappears over nearly any wireless connection.

InvertedGoldfish

Suspended
Jun 28, 2023
What’s their logging policy and any 3rd part audit?

I just use a good VPN

Based on Apple being US based I just don’t view them as able to offer proper privacy

Reactions: blicked

svenmany

macrumors demi-god
Jun 19, 2011
I used to use it. I no longer do. Every now and again I'd have connection issues which would disappear after I turned it off.

Reactions: Miicat_47

phototristan

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
I used to think it stalled sometimes but I think it's actually Safari. When I quite Safari and re-launch it, the problem goes away. This is with keeping Private Relay on the whole time. It just seems like Safari on desktop and Private Relay sometimes don't get along, oddly.

I also have not experienced any issues with Private Relay on any of my iOS devices.

Be that as it may however, the issue never happens with Private Relay off so who knows? I wish the issue didn't happen.

Last edited:

phototristan

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
Update: unfortunately it was fine for like 48 hours then I noticed another slowdown so it’s still seems flakey…

Just sharing that with the most recent MacOS update, I no longer seem to be having this issue and iCloud Private Relay seems reliable now. :)

Last edited:

chevyboy60013

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2021
I turned it on and really see no difference in the wifi speeds. Kinda like its concept so as long as it does not slow my MacBook Pro to a crawl.... I will be leaving it on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.