Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Mac OS Do You Use?

• OS X Only

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • OS 9 Only

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • X, but I use Classic a lot

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • X, but I often boot into 9

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • 9, but sometimes I boot into X

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • OS 8 or earlier

Votes: 2 2.4%

• Total voters

Screamingbeaver

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2001
St. Paul, MN
OSX and OS9, best of both worlds...

Okay, I've been running OSX on my G4 tower for the last few months. No major issues at all. I abosultley love it. I'm, of course, running classic most of this time (Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, GoLive) Once I turned power management NOT to go to sleep....EVER!...everything is fine.

However, I have a question for you people, I also have a Pismo G3/400 PowerBook (320megs of ram) that I use a lot, probably more than my tower and I also have a iMac DV/400 (192megs of ram), should I make the move and upgrade those to OSX?

Will my PowerBook be able to handle OSX with out too much trouble? I feel that even my G4/400 (768megs of ram) is little sluggish at times, and I wonder how slow my PowerBook would be.

If any body is runnin' OSX on this PowerBook, any input would be cool, Thanks for your help.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
I use X about 90% of the time. I still have to use os9 to run vpc (haven't got version 5, yet) and burn divx media. For some reason upon inserting a 700 MB blank cd into the vst firewire cd-writer than came with the TiBook, X reads it as being 666.8 MB or something like that, and by the time it's been formatted, i only end up with around 655 MB, which is a bit daft IMO. Anyone else have this problem?

ibjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2002
New Zealand
i love x.1.2
so stable
more than just eye candy
i now resent working in 9.2 on the powerbook at work
(i prefer the win2k pc next to it because of the stability)

AJW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2001
ASTERISK*ASTERISK*ASTERISK

What's this "cl[asterisk][asterisk][asterisk]ic" junk in all the posts? Does a new filtering software not like the "a ss" in "cla ssic"?

AJW

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2001
Asterisks

In another thread, I noticed that "a ssemble" is being affected too... Maybe this filter thing should check to make sure that "a ss" has a space at each end...

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
ah......
I use 9.2.1 and there is no way in hell I'm getting OS X unless I get a job... WAit I'm 14, damn life. Oh well 9.2.1 is fine for me, and if u ask why I didn't get 9.2.2 cause I'm on a 56g*y and it would take a long time! Around a hour and 20 mins...

Microsoft_Windows_Hater

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2001
OS X only

I formatted my HD and installed Mac OS X only. I don't use cl***ic and in fact don't like cl***ic. Don't attack me for it, it jst didn't work with me.

My friends Pismo runs 10 flawlessly even with Office Vx open. I would upgrade it to OS X. Even the sleep function works well...

Screamingbeaver

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2001
St. Paul, MN
Re: Windows_Hater...

Thanks for the info, slap OSX on my pismo when I have time. Just out of couriosity, what kind of stuff you do with out Cla ssic? I'm not raggin on ya, I'm just courious.

I'm just so into production I don't know what I would do without Cla ssic.

thanks again for the input.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
I find it a bit too odd to run os9 whilst running osX -- kinda like running Virtual PC.

Of course, it could be odder still: osX with Virtual PC running Linux on Cl***ic. :eek:

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
i boot into osx but the apps i use most- dreamweaver, flash, photoshop are running under classic mode. i can't wait to get office for osx. for now i'm using entourage in classic mode as well.

i hate how classic mode screws up the alpha of osx.. for example with the genie effect. osx made me a mac convert. now i have the best of both worlds since i don't have some kinda grudge against wintel machines.:p

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
Time is right for Mac OS X

I am new mac convert with a new TiBook with OS X running full time - no Os 9 for me...I choose TiBook as my home computer for two reasons..
First of all, i always wanted to have a full unix system on my desk .

Secondly, I started using less and less MS products lately and decided its time to say goodbye to Windoze altogether when i wanted a new computer for my personal use.
But I still use my thinkpad at work..I have been programming in various Unix platform for almost 10 years now- sun solaris, sco unix, linux. My current project is in C/C++/Java/DB2 in AIX and use wintel laptop to log on to our aix box..and to run some utilities and debuggers. Plus Lotus Notes for mail, organizer etc..., and Lotus smart suite as office suites.

Lotus Notes is already in beta and will be available to public in a month..and I hope IBM and their Lotus Division comes up with new products for OS X. ( i really want DB2 for OS X and Lotus Smart Suite) If that happens I can convince my boss to go fulltime with Mac .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.