Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Meecrob

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
New England
What's up with twitter? Seems like a lot of people are creaming their jeans over it, but I can't see much point to obsessive status-updating... maybe im missing a crucial feature but I just cant see why anyone needs it.

if you dont know what it is:
twitter.com

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
What's up with twitter? Seems like a lot of people are creaming their jeans over it, but I can't see much point to obsessive status-updating... maybe im missing a crucial feature but I just cant see why anyone needs it.

if you dont know what it is:
twitter.com

I'm glad you asked this - I've been wondering the same thing myself...seems like IM away messages without the IM. Interesting, but I'm not so sure it's a "killer webapp" for me.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
Its not killer by any means, but its fun to use. My sister and several freinds use it. Its all about getting your "network" on it.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I've just started playing with it (befriend me! Please!) but the novelty is wearing off quickly. For the same reasons that I never got into IM'ing, I don't think I'm going to get into Twitter either. I wonder if it's a generational thing?

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I don't think it's a generation thing, because I'm in the generation that would like it and I think it's completely idiotic.

Who cares what people are doing every minute of the day? Who would even go there to browse what other people have/did do? That just seems really weird, and almost sick to have "update twitter with what I'm going to do next" pop up in your mind before you do something.

I see that people can text in (via cell) an entry. It looks like people are about to start writing a report, so they whip their phone out, text "Writing a report" to twitter, and then do it. Repeat for each activity done during the day...something's wrong with that.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
I've never seen this, yet it seems rather odd. Although I am also in the generation that 'should' like this sort of thing, I truly don't find it all that compelling.

ITASOR said:
I see that people can text in (via cell) an entry. It looks like people are about to start writing a report, so they whip their phone out, text "Writing a report" to twitter, and then do it. Repeat for each activity done during the day...something's wrong with that.
I completely agree. To reinforce your point, some guy just said he was 'being bitten by a playful kitten.'

That scares me...

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
It's really simple and stupid yet I can't help but update mine....

But I'm a sucker for social networking sites (virb, twitter, facebook....)

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
fistful is reading a thread on MacRumors about twitter. less than 2 minutes ago from MacRumors
fistful is going to the toilet. less than 90 seconds ago from MacRumors
fistful is back from the toilet less than 1 minute ago from MacRumors
fistful is reading about twitter on MacRumors again. less than 20 seconds ago from MacRumors

Yeah, I don't get it... :confused:

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
I have no idea how I could update that site every time I do something different. It seems like a complete waste of time.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
I don't think it's a generation thing, because I'm in the generation that would like it and I think it's completely idiotic.

Who cares what people are doing every minute of the day? Who would even go there to browse what other people have/did do? That just seems really weird, and almost sick to have "update twitter with what I'm going to do next" pop up in your mind before you do something.

I totally & completely agree with you.

A friend made me make an account, I logged in once and said, "wow, this is lame" and logged out. Haven't been in since... :)

b0tt094

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
persoanlly I use these sites, to look at my freisn's pictures (private profiles like myspace) I also use them to, u kno just connect. Personally I ahte mysapce it is overly commercialized, I like facebook more, simple, clean, elegant

It gets to the point, No waiting for myspace to load some obnoxious layout that u cant read because some idiot thought it would be cool to make the background and text the same color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.