Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a spare iCloud account on devices where you have beta installed

• Total voters

kave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I am eager to try the beta, I have so far installed it on an old XS using an extra iCloud account. I am thinking about trying it out on my iPad Pro m1. Are you guys using a spare iCloud account on your devices where you install the beta?

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
I am eager to try the beta, I have so far installed it on an old XS using an extra iCloud account. I am thinking about trying it out on my iPad Pro m1. Are you guys using a spare iCloud account on your devices where you install the beta?
In the past, upgrades of certain e.g. iCloud infrastructure/sdervices (it escapes me exactly which, but i recall it has happened) has meant, though you can rollback the OS certain things don't work as expected until the final OS is released, or you go back to the beta. While I'm not aware of any such issues in iOS 16 you should be aware it's a risk and act accordingly if you think it will be an issue for you.

To answer your question though, personally I just use my main and only account.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I have spare accounts, but log out and log in just for the sake of beta is an absolute pain. So I just use my main account for the entire beta process. If I have sth That can support me restoring 400GB of data in 8 hours then I might consider.

As for downgrade, while you technically can downgrade from beta, the data accumulated during beta process might be irretrievable. The longer beta goes the more you lose. Very Apple-style one way street.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.